aircon advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aircon advice

hey guys sorry but yet another question im looking at getting my aircon back up and running is there any way i can test it myself

light on dash and fan under the egine spins up but just warm air i assume it just needs a regas but after reading a couple of posts seems there MAY be an issue as to what gas has been used in the past dont know when it was last working

1. any way of telling what gas is being used
    2. any easy way of telling if i can get away with an aircon can from halfords
    3. any body had theres done recently near manchester if so where and how much

(edit) read some more postsand seems the engine revs should increase they dont any ideas

cheers guys
    Last edited by BAV1; 2 July 2009, 00:58.

the refrigerant should be labelled.
    look up a local air con company and pay the man,
    take a chance with the halfrauds gas however if you are on r12 you will need an adaptor the one that comes with the hose is for r134a
    let me know how you get on
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

thanks mate are there any steps i can take to check the hardware out before paying anyone to regas

i would get somone to do it over the halfords

but i have this nack of picking jobs to do that tend to spiral out of control its a gift

need to get a pretty accurate idea of cost before i can get it authorised by the better half

cheers

Comment

Isn't there a label on the AC equipment (or under the bonnet) saying which gas has been used ?

I know not much help if your trucks been swimming in mud

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

will take a look tomoz wheres this little window i keep reading about

can anyone give me a list to check ie relays etc and where they are

all your help is appreciated need to get some cool air in the truck ASAP

thanks again

Comment

will take a look tomoz wheres this little window i keep reading about

can anyone give me a list to check ie relays etc and where they are

all your help is appreciated need to get some cool air in the truck ASAP

thanks again

Comment

there is a lil bstrd hidden away behind the l/h panel behind the glove box.
              the little window is visible from the front bonnet lifted sort of between the gap tween radiator and expansion bottle
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

cheers mate will take a look tomoz gunna try and google an image so i know what im looking for

so if i chaeck relay and windows any ideas what else i need to look at before regas

Comment

start with the compressor if the center disc spins regas frm halfrauds cos its the star of the month and im still moderatly happy i will send you an adaptor this is a limited time offer
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

cheers mate will will do that tomoz and let you know i assum if that spins up then all tht could be left is a regas and hope for no leaks

sorry to be stupid but its late any pics of the compressor

cheers

Comment

i have no pics at mo will take some tomorro and post them with the relevant bits highlighted
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

ta mate much appreciated

Comment

i have the pics just hope i can upload them for you and omg how dirty is my engine bay just found the next job!
                          compressor picture most professionaly labelled "a" is schraeder cap
                          "b" is clutch.
                          receiver pics shows what you are looking for behind grille and in front of rad
                          hope these help?
                          as a last resort you could try Kwik-fit fixed price no surprises ,smell any bs and just walk away
                          Attached Files
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

thanks mate the outer part spins with the belt on but cant see the inner part spin should it be

will look for the other bit tomoz

cheers again

Comment

yes the inner part should spin with the a/c on ,perhaps if you could get some one to turn on the a/c as you look at the compressor you should hear a click and the inner will start spinning.
                              if it does not then you move on to the next step.i do not know your level of competency please dont be offended if im teaching you to suck eggs but please procede with caution.
                              with the engine off,and ignition off you could try this strip off some electrical ]cable at both ends .unplug the little connector on top of the compressor poke in the stripped end and then with the other end lightly brush the positive battery terminal .you should then see the compressor clutch pull in.leave the stripped end in the little connector and leave the other end out of the way of any spinny or electrical bits,
                              jump in your truck and start the engine turn on the air con then very carefully touch the postive terminal again but leave the wire connected Insulted crocodile clip is good.fused is even better.
                              with all of this done look in the window (2nd picture)and you should see fluid moving or bubbles ideally the little window should either go clear or have more fluid than bubbles.
                              if this is the case and you can feel cold air coming out of the cabs vents
                              ten you have an electrical problem.
                              my a/c was not working when i was given my surf i found that the fan speed slider switch was fubar.striped out switch assembly and remade switch,also
                              i think the fan fuse had failed good luck
                              check out the pics
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by shokenore; 10 December 2010, 19:54.
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X