Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking, Lost Power And A Tapping Sound

ANY IDEAS PLEASE

Had a new head fitter a few months ago and all seemed ok until last week when gasket on exhaust went, on investigating found all the bolts were lose on every thing I touched!!!!!

So replaced the gasket and tightened all the bolts. two days later had a sort of tapping sound coming from the top of the engine, Talked to a few people locally and they said to check the injectors, Removed these and had them tested, 3 out of 4 not working, now replaced but still making knocking/tapping from top end, it appears to be from top of 'rocker' cover towards the front. Also there is loads and I mean loads of black smoke, took Surf for a quick drive and do not have any power and still loads of black smoke, noise changes with engine speed and gets a bit quieter as the engine heats up, sometimes disapears altogether but it comes back and does not go away

Any thought or ideas would be welcome.

Just been rang and told could have a air lock in the fuel line between Injector pump and injectors?????

Originally posted by GOFFER

ANY IDEAS PLEASE

Had a new head fitter a few months ago and all seemed ok until last week when gasket on exhaust went, on investigating found all the bolts were lose on every thing I touched!!!!!

So replaced the gasket and tightened all the bolts. two days later had a sort of tapping sound coming from the top of the engine, Talked to a few people locally and they said to check the injectors, Removed these and had them tested, 3 out of 4 not working, now replaced but still making knocking/tapping from top end, it appears to be from top of 'rocker' cover towards the front. Also there is loads and I mean loads of black smoke, took Surf for a quick drive and do not have any power and still loads of black smoke, noise changes with engine speed and gets a bit quieter as the engine heats up, sometimes disapears altogether but it comes back and does not go away

Any thought or ideas would be welcome.

Just been rang and told could have a air lock in the fuel line between Injector pump and injectors?????
    did a garage do the work??, if so i would take it back, black smoke is unburnt diesel, sounds like the timing is too advanced so something else must be loose for it to come on all at once
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
      did a garage do the work??, if so i would take it back, black smoke is unburnt diesel, sounds like the timing is too advanced so something else must be loose for it to come on all at once
      I reckon you may well have a bent valve, possibly caused by a timing belt slippage. The reduction in noise could be due to everything slackening up a little when it gets hot and allowing the valve to slip a bit better.

Alternatively could be a cam gone. If it's a bent inlet valve it would explain the lack of power and the unburnt diesel as you will be getting little or no compression on that cylinder.

As Ian said, take it back.
      Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X