BIG RED FRED windo dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG RED FRED windo dead

I bought my Surf on 1st May. ( My Missus has called it Big Red Fred ) We came over to the UK to get it, and on the way back to Brussels, she overheated, ( The Surf not my missus), the passenger window stopped working and we found out that the cigerette lighter did not work. ( GPS needed charging ). What a great start to owning a new motor. She is a 2.4 2door 1991 Surf. She looks fantastic but needs some work. Being in Brussels I have little hope of finding a good machanic, so any help anyone can give will be appriciated. I have bought a Service Kit from Milners and a new Radiator cap Thermostat etc. I am hoping to drain the cooling system on Saturday and clean it out and refill as per the instructions I have seen on previous threads. After that its on with the new service kit. I am going to try and see what is wrong with the passenger window tonight. Does anyone know of the main faults that can happen?

Thanks Brussels John

If it properly overheated, I think you're probably looking at a cracked head (sorry). Did it, by any chance, come from a dealer?

Comment

Heating Problem

Hi Thanks for your reply. It did come from a Dealer. I spent last night stripping it down and found the Header Bottle was filled over half way with what seems to be Clay. I checked the heater control, which was jammed shut. when I inspected the heating radiator it only had a spoonful of water in it.
      Tonight I am going to flush the system fully and ensure that the water is circulating correctly, after which I will add some stopleak and run her for a while then leave it overnight, on Friday I will drain it and refill correctly.
      I am hoping it is a mix of things and not head. Seems like she has never been looked after. I will give her a full service at the weekend, and next thursday we are off to Holland, so fingures crossed all will go ok.

Comment

Good stuff. On the window, check the wires are OK on the inside edge of the door (i.e. near the hinges). They often break.

Comment

Window time

Hi Sancho, I will take the door pannel off tonight when I am flushing the cooling system. I checked last night and there is power to the switch, so It may well be the motor. I will find out tonight.

Comment

Working...
          X