Removal of fan shroud????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of fan shroud????

My son just reported a rattle which is clearly fan hitting fan shroud.........guess what.........quite a few fan blades are well damaged !!!!

However it is not merely as simple as securing using the seemingly appropriate holes.Holes on fan shroud don't seem to line up with all the rad holes so it is only held on with 2 bolts.
    I suppose it might have been fitted from a different vehicle and we have only noticed since cam belts were changed.

So............we are thinking of just taking the shroud off to avoid any further fan blade damage. The shroud would appear to be for protection only although I suppose it may assist in airflow direction at a push.

Can anyone think of a technical reason for not just taking it off???

Ta

DS

I believe the theory says that the fan will be more efficient with the shroud on. A lot of people (myself included) have removed the lower portion as it seems to load up with mud etc if you off road and that can be worse than having a slightly less efficient fan. - Truth be told mine was so rotton it was not worth keeping, and others had removed it so I figured I'd be ok..

Personally I'd re-drill the top shroud to fit your rad. Reason being you'll only need to catch it once with your fingers / hand while checking something in the bay with the engine running to really, really, really wish you'd kept it.

Rob.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Rob.
      Derek

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        I believe the theory says that the fan will be more efficient with the shroud on. A lot of people (myself included) have removed the lower portion as it seems to load up with mud etc if you off road and that can be worse than having a slightly less efficient fan. - Truth be told mine was so rotton it was not worth keeping, and others had removed it so I figured I'd be ok..

Personally I'd re-drill the top shroud to fit your rad. Reason being you'll only need to catch it once with your fingers / hand while checking something in the bay with the engine running to really, really, really wish you'd kept it.

Rob.
        i will agree with Rob on this as i was helping someone do some repairs on their truck.We hadn't fitted the shroud back on and i caught my fingers on the fan.I was lucky it only caught the tip of my fingers or it would of been a lot worse.
        Remove the lower part of the shroud but i will certainly adcvise keeping the top section in place
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Ta.
          We don't actually do our own repairs so aren't really exposed to the risk........YET............... ... but point taken.

Like Rob, I thought of the shroud being beneficial to air flow albeit my son only uses his truck driving around Edinburgh.

We'll fix it more securely though.

Thanks again chaps

Comment

Edinburgh!! Hell, I'd take the ###### fan off - its only use up there would be to smash up the ice that passes over it (wouldn't it?).

Comment

Working...
            X