• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
    OK, but I said YOU'RE NOT THAT OLD.
    ok, ok IM not that old.........but all these cars are
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

.i have some 2.4 ecu's here if you need a replacement.£75 next day delivery

Originally posted by daedalusminos View Post
      OK, I'm still working on the difficult start/rough idle/smoke when starting from cold. After reading previous posts I've got a few theories:-
      1. The ECU is not fuelling correctly for a cold start.
        As far as I know the engine temperature is determined by comparing the reading from the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and the Intake Air Temperature sensor - if the coolant is hotter by more than (something like) 10C then a hot start is assumed. Both of these sensors are covered under diagnostics codes (4 and 8) for open (and possibly short) circuit but probably not for out of spec resistance.
        I measured the resistance of each sensor and compared the values to typical values published here. The reading were ECT = 4K88 and IAT = 4K41. These seemed reasonable values considering the outside air temp was approx 7C. The ECT is tucked up under the inlet manifold but is not too bad to get to - remove N/S battery, airbox, fuel filter assy., EGR link pipe and EGR vacuum control assy.
        I also measured the harness for opens and shorts - no problem. There's always a chance the ECU is faulty.
      2. Airlocks in the fuel line.
        I also had a theory that fuel was syphoning back into the tank - I know my filter primer was faulty so decided to fit an inline hand primer (which has a one way valve in) between filter and pump, I also fitten new fuel line.
      3. Blocked injectors.
        Does anyone have a source of new injectors? I'm going to find it hard to have the car off the road for a week to have mine reconditioned. I found HIFLO I-NEWTSGR08A-HF but they don't appear to ship international.
      4. Faulty pump
        Haven't looked at this yet
      5. Something else!
        Still plenty of other things to try!

Despite trying the above, the problem still exists!

Jonathan
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

[*]Blocked injectors.
        Does anyone have a source of new injectors? I'm going to find it hard to have the car off the road for a week to have mine reconditioned. I found HIFLO I-NEWTSGR08A-HF but they don't appear to ship international.

I've just ordered a set of recon injectors from diesel Bob - £33 each plus £80 deposit until old ones have been returned. They haven't arrived yet but I'm hoping to get them in on the weekend.

Comment

on sat I got back from Switzerland, 14hr drive. on the way there it was a bit different. 20mins from the place we were staying at, the trucks temps hit the roof. after getting recovered, getting 2 chalet, being up 48+ hrs we pass out and hope the truck isn't 2 serious. in the morning the AA ring with some good news. Just the thermostat needs replacing. A few hrs later they ring bk saying the radiator needs flushing. the next day we go and pick the truck up from the garage 550 Fr bout £350 I don't care I got my truck back,
          but ever since all these problems my truck wont start cold without cold start and then will sit there with the revs just over 1000 coughing and spitting out white smoke. it seems like its miss firing. I've had this problem before and had the glow plugs replaced but that didn't solve it, this time its worse. my dads mate thinks it could be the fuel pump. any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            mine does exactly the same thing, but i just ignore it. it only started doing it after the injection pump was replaced. when i start i get a lot of grey smoke for about 5-10 seconds, but after that its fine. i think it may either be the ecu temp sender thingy from the pump, or it could just be old age. i just start up ,no revs and its well within 10 seconds.

So does mine and I've ignored it, my old mans diesel Passat does the same thing, I was under the impression it was part of the joy of diesels!

When I was a young'un my dad had a transport company, at five am when the lorries were started you couldnt see across the yard for smoke, I thought it was normal!!

---

Comment

Working...
            X