Problems starting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems starting...

First off I'd like to thank everyone who's helped me on this forum. I've had nothing but problems with my surf and have posted here a few times. Had nothing but great help from everyone! Thanks!

Now... another issue. Here's the back story to shed some light.

I had a bunch of work done on it. New rad, new water pump, new thermostat, new therm. housing and timing done. A week later the head went on my 1991 Hilux Surf 2.4L, I bought a 3.0L head from Rocky Mountain Imports in BC (he sells the good 3L heads) and got the mechanic to install everything.

Right after it ran terrible. I took it to another mechanic and he did a pressure test at 250psi and no faults. He did find the timing belt tensioner had never been reset after the last installation causing it to slip, so put the timing back in line. It has gotten a little better and once it heated up it seems to be "decent" at best but it drives. When starting in the morning it pushes alot of smoke, not 1min worth but about 10-15mins of smoke. It covers the apartment parking lot. I've replaced the glow plugs and that hasn't made it any better. The only thing I can think of is to take the fuel injectors out and get them looked at. Would the engine start rough if an injector wasn't spraying properly? Once the engines temperature rises the car runs smoother but is still fairly gutless.

Any suggestions on this? Oh, and my heater isn't working. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything but thought I should mention it.

Thanks again for everything!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike

Hi Canadian,

(understand this is a 2.4TD)

First, have the timing re-set, or re checked, cam, pump, and crank to T.D.C. Then find out if the glow plug relay is working. (you will hear a click from the relay) wait for the bleeeeep, and then try to start it. Not when the light goes out, (10 seconds ish later), if no better, check the glow plug fuse, it normally fails when mechanics turn ignition on to move truck when the head is off.
    Then BLEED the cooling system correctly.

Hope this helps, let us know please,
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Hey thanks!
      I'll get on the timing, etc. this weekend. The glow plug relay seems to be working. I hear it click over, before the beep. I don't have a glow plug light though... Should there be one? But thanks again for the advice I'll get on it and let you know.

Cheers,
      Mike

Comment

Check the glow plug fuse.

If it's blown you need to remove the fuse box to change it as it pushes out the bottom of the fusebox

Also check the glow plug rail is fitted correctly. There should be insulation between it, the block it mounted to and the bolt that holds it it place. On mine the insulation had cracked up and fallen out causing the fuse to keep blowing
        My other cars a QUAD
        (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
        http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Finally Fixed!

Hey,
          Just wanted to update on the Hilux. It was the injectors. Two were shot so got a new set and she's running much better now! I also did the glow plugs while I was at it!!!

Thanks alot for all the help from everyone!!!

Very excited!

Comment

did you do the injectors yourself or did someone else do them? I think I may need injectors as well and am curious what you paid for the parts/labour. Where abouts are you? I'm on the island.

Comment

Hey Skydiver,
              I had a family friend do the injectors up in Ladysmith. The parts came from Rocky Mountain Imports. I am in Victoria. Would love to help in any way I can though as I've had my lux for 2 years and have done almost everything to it now. I paid just over $1000 for the parts and labour. I believe the injectors were $600-$650. My turbo was also almost completely blocked so he cleaned that out for me.

I still am having issues starting cold though... I re-did the glow plugs last winter before I had the injectors worked on. Once the engine is warm the truck runs great but the cold starts in the morning or after work are brutal. I can cover a parking lot in smoke!

I'm based out of Victoria. Let me know if you have any lux questions!

Cheers and good luck!
              mike

Comment

Originally posted by canadianHILUX View Post
                I still am having issues starting cold though... I re-did the glow plugs last winter before I had the injectors worked on. Once the engine is warm the truck runs great but the cold starts in the morning or after work are brutal. I can cover a parking lot in smoke!
                What type of ambient temperatures are you at? Have you checked the glowplug fuse, to make sure that's intact? Have you tried heating them a couple of times before starting her up?

Comment

The temp is around 2-5 degrees. (i'm in Canada)
                  I haven't checked the glowplug fuse, I'm not sure where it is??? Any diagrams online?

I have noticed that when heat them up about 5 or 6 times before I start it up that it starts A BIT better, still rough, but I don't have to give it any fuel to get going.

Thanks for the reply on this one!
                  mike

Comment

Originally posted by canadianHILUX View Post
                    The temp is around 2-5 degrees. (i'm in Canada)
                    I haven't checked the glowplug fuse, I'm not sure where it is??? Any diagrams online?
                    The drivers side fusebox under the bonnet. It's the 80A fuse. It's secured from underneath the fusebox, btw, just incase you need to get it out.

The plugs should easily warm things up enough for those temps after only a couple of glows or so, so it may be that you popped that fuse when you replaced the glowplugs.
                    Last edited by MattF; 28 November 2009, 00:19.

Comment

Working...
                    X