No announcement yet.

Tapping noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right then, i got round to stripping the engine down to the cam belt tonight and found the problem:-
    The cam belt is absolutely f@ck#d(pictures to follow) i reckon it has done about 500mls since it was changed by my local toyota main dealer(who are known for being very good). The cambelt has been rubbing on something which i will investigate tommorow, which means that two thirds(width) if the belt is thread bare with holes in it and virtually paper thin!
    So someone is in for a major bollocking when i got round there at 8am on monday morning . I have got to say that i am seriously ****ed off, but glad i took the time to investigate myself now i will let them sort it at their cost.
    I have a funny feeling that if i had taken it in without investigation they would have screwed me for the cost of repairs and denied all knowledge of the cam belt being the problem, that could of course be me being cynical!
    [IMG]http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/public/coppermine/albums/userpics/10024/surf3.jpg[/IMG]

Big 'n' beautiful!

Comment

Bet you are glad you found the problem as the damage caused if that had broken could well have meant new engine time!!!!
      I'll bet the dealer would not have paid for that if it had happened!!!!
      Looks like you caught it just in time, have you discovered what it was rubbing on i.e did they leave a bolt loose and protruding????
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

There was a feckin bolt in the bottom of the cam belt compartment which was wedged between the bottom pully(diesel pump?) and the casing, i have attached a few photos and the damage is much worse than first suspected half of the belt is down to half width because it has worn right through
        I am just glad i checked it out, a few friend have said just ignore it and see what happens cos they didnt think it sounded serious, the noise was obviously the bit of the belt that wasnt worn away going through the grater.
        I cant believe hoiw much debris cam out, was a good handful as well as a few 6inch lengths of cambelt complete with teeth.

I doubt very much if they would have paid out if it had failed, and its only done 800km since it was changed! But i garauntee someone is going to have a very bed day on monday if they dont get on their knees and beg forgiveness, serves me right i suppose for paying out nearly £500 to take it to the main dealers! I will do it myself next time!
        Attached Files
        [IMG]http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/public/coppermine/albums/userpics/10024/surf3.jpg[/IMG]

Big 'n' beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddie
          There was a feckin bolt in the bottom of the cam belt compartment which was wedged between the bottom pully(diesel pump?) and the casing, i have attached a few photos and the damage is much worse than first suspected half of the belt is down to half width because it has worn right through
          I am just glad i checked it out, a few friend have said just ignore it and see what happens cos they didnt think it sounded serious, the noise was obviously the bit of the belt that wasnt worn away going through the grater.
          I cant believe hoiw much debris cam out, was a good handful as well as a few 6inch lengths of cambelt complete with teeth.

I doubt very much if they would have paid out if it had failed, and its only done 800km since it was changed! But i garauntee someone is going to have a very bed day on monday if they dont get on their knees and beg forgiveness, serves me right i suppose for paying out nearly £500 to take it to the main dealers! I will do it myself next time!
          demand your money back
          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I intend to demand at least half the money back because they also did the service while it was in too! I will also be expecting them to replace all the parts-new pulley, cam belt, and cambelt cover(because it has a hole in the front prolly where the bolt has hit it) and i am gonna go and inspect the cam belt job before they put the motor back together.
            Also will be requiring a new hilux for loan car!! that might be pushing my luck tho!

Big 'n' beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddie
              I intend to demand at least half the money back because they also did the service while it was in too! I will also be expecting them to replace all the parts-new pulley, cam belt, and cambelt cover(because it has a hole in the front prolly where the bolt has hit it) and i am gonna go and inspect the cam belt job before they put the motor back together.
              Also will be requiring a new hilux for loan car!! that might be pushing my luck tho!
              At least found sooner rather than later, could have been a lot worse to argue about had it snapped.
              Push your luck all the way, they need to eat humble pie big time.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

mmmmmmm

if you want a job doin properly do it yaself my mate works at at ford main dealer as a fitter he aint got a qualification to his name bluffed his way in i wouldnt trust a main dealer
                black n tan
                black n tan
                yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Well just to let you know the work has all been done FOC and they gave me a courtesy car(crappy little corrola) but the main thing is they have sorted it but they werent willing to give me a refund despite the amount of hassle they were give, instead they gave me a £60 voucher which i can use against parts/mot/service etc and has no time limit.
                  So just glad to see i am back up and surfing again!
                  Definitely wont be going back to Ron Brooks Toyota in ilkeston, Derbys again tho!(well except to spend the voucher on shiny things! )

Big 'n' beautiful!

Comment

crap garage of the week is............................ .
                    Ron Brooks Toyota in ilkeston, derbyshire
                    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                    [size=5][/size]
                    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Tapping noise

Hello there.

Just read your post..

My partner has just bought a subaru impreza 97. unfortunatley, like yourself, we have noticed a tapping noise from the engine. we took it to a local garage, and he diagnosed it as the bottom end, he also said that the engine would need taking out, and he quoted about £2000 for the job.

does anyone know if this is a realistic price etc..

looking forward to hearing from you

Emma

Comment

Originally posted by emmah View Post

Emma
                        Highly unlikely - you've dragged up a thread thats nearly 4 years old.

But asking a garage to do such a big job will be setting you back muchos monies. Without know all the details the price may be OK.
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by emmah View Post
                          Hello there.

Just read your post..

My partner has just bought a subaru impreza 97. unfortunatley, like yourself, we have noticed a tapping noise from the engine. we took it to a local garage, and he diagnosed it as the bottom end, he also said that the engine would need taking out, and he quoted about £2000 for the job.

does anyone know if this is a realistic price etc..

Emma
                          its a well known fact that scooby engines are crap and they have a problematic bottom end.also its a bar steward of a job to do so i would say thats a fair price.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X