yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam Belt Snapped - What Chance Of No Damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Belt Snapped - What Chance Of No Damage?

Cam belt snapped at the bottom of a steep hill. There was a slight clatter then nothing. What are my chances of there being no damage? We are supposed to be towing the caravan to Dorset on Thursday.
    It's only a hobby!

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil View Post
    Cam belt snapped at the bottom of a steep hill. There was a slight clatter then nothing. What are my chances of there being no damage? We are supposed to be towing the caravan to Dorset on Thursday.
    If you want to pay for a belt It's worth a try but i wouldn't hold out much hope .
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Ya could be Lucky Phil ... same sinario some years ago with a old Astra !!
      Good Luck Mate
      Jess

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers chaps. The only ray of hope is that I take off the rocker cover and have a look at what damage has been done. I don't know how much you can tell without taking the head off.

I changed the cam belt less than 5,000 miles ago but it was a Milner one and is getting on for five years old.

It is just perfect timing with a full tank of diesel, a full service (done by me) and a full spit, polish, tyre black, chrome clean etc, 12 months road tax, 12 months insurance and a brand new MOT.

Green Flag were absolutely spot-on though and had us recovered within 35 mins (it is the first time they have ever been needed.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

bent valves will be the problem hope they havn't damaged the seatings or the head

Comment

After two days trying to get the to the point of taking the cylinder head off I have just about had enough! The two things that are holding me up are:
            1) One of the nuts holding the exhaust to the turbo refuses to budge. If I get a ring spanner on it, it is right against the bulkead. A short socket won't go over the the bit of stud sticking out. A deep socket will go on there is no room to put the ratchet/bar on. I can't get at it from underneath.

2) I cannot shift the camshaft pulley bolt. I have done the search and tried all the suggestions. High tensile bolts in the threaded holes just bend when I put a bar through and down to the alternator bracket. Somebody was supposed to be coming by this evening, with on board air and a compressed air impact driver but they have let me down.

The caravan site booking is now cancelled. We should be just about set up on site now and would be ready to stroll to the pub for some dinner but instead I am at home, oil stained and have bits missing from my knuckles. To say I am p**d off is an understatement.

To top it all off, an official from the council came by, taking the registration numbers of cars parked on the grassed area at the front of our houses. The fine from the local authority is £80. I nearly never park on the grass at the front and of course all the habitual offenders, who park there 365 nights of the year, regardless of the weather and rip up the grass, had their cars at work and won't get fined!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

The trick I used to use with crankshaft pulley wheel nuts was to put a socket and long bar on it, then crank the engine breifly. As the bar hits the ground with a bump, it usually cracks the nut.

Do you have access to an oxy acetlyene lamp to warm the exaust fixing? You could try a blow lamp if not. Try to heat the nut rather than the stud so as the nut expands, it releases from the threads.

You might be able to get a ratchet spanner on it or maybe cut the long reach socket down a bit. Do you have another ring spanner? I have found that different spanners are sometimes slightly differently positioned and can sometimes get around the problem you describe by alternating between two separate ring spanners. It takes ages and ages though.

How about taking the turbo off with it?

As a last resort, could you get in to cut or grind it off?
              Last edited by SoundsDigital; 26 June 2008, 20:36.

Comment

just in case you find that you have done the head ?
                i have a second hand one complete,
                i took it off a surf that i broke last weekend,
                was driveing without fault,
                so i know its a good one,

hopefully yours is ok,
                but give me a call if you need any parts,

01752 256304

Comment

Thanks for the replies:

SoundsDigital,
                  I have the crank shaft pulley off. I made a tool to do it as I don't have a puller. It was a bit of 10mm bar with two holes drilled in it to line up with the threaded holes in the pulley. I put a socket against the crank shaft and did two bolts up, which pulled it off nicely.
                  The problem I am having is getting the 19mm nut undone on the (top) camshaft pulley. Even with a bit of angle iron wedged in the pulley teeth and jammed against the alternator bracket it is moving the bracket before it will give.

supersurf,
                  Thanks for the offer mate. I don't know the condition of the head. All I know is that #1 cylinder first valve lifter is jammed down solid and one in the middle of the head is very stiff.

I am more or less toying with the idea of buying a 3.0 2nd Gen and transferring my tow bar and all the bits I have made over, then breaking what is left of the 2.4 to rake some pennies back.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

I think you will find Phil that Rich will have a 3.0 litre up for sale soon, or then again there is this bling machine (BDT) going at the moment

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                      I think you will find Phil that Rich will have a 3.0 litre up for sale soon, or then again there is this bling machine (BDT) going at the moment

Trev
                      cough

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE:IT&ih=003

Comment

Go for the 3lt phil .........look for a late one though as they are now devloping problems like the 2.4's

Comment

Breakdowntruck2,
                          I was looking at yours on eBay. It looks like it is heading out of my price range judging by the bidding/days left/reserve not met. Good luck with the auction though.

BioHazard,
                          I have a couple to look at this weekend, hopefully. It is going to be a bit of a road trip with my nephew in his van.

It will be a shame to part mine out because the panels are all virtually blemish-free. The only scrapes on it are on the bumpers, arches, A-Bar and the tailgate. The bumpers and arches have just been resprayed/laquered. The doors are pretty well immaculate. The bonnet has a couple of old stone chips that have been touched up. Oh, well, no use getting sentimental. I paid £5k for it five years ago, so I suppose it has been a cheap truck in the long run. It's a shame that I put all new supension bushes, new rad, new steering idler arm, new steering ball joints and new wheel bearings on just a couple of weeks ago.
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil View Post
                            Breakdowntruck2,
                            I was looking at yours on eBay. It looks like it is heading out of my price range judging by the bidding/days left/reserve not met. Good luck with the auction though.

BioHazard,
                            I have a couple to look at this weekend, hopefully. It is going to be a bit of a road trip with my nephew in his van.

It will be a shame to part mine out because the panels are all virtually blemish-free. The only scrapes on it are on the bumpers, arches, A-Bar and the tailgate. The bumpers and arches have just been resprayed/laquered. The doors are pretty well immaculate. The bonnet has a couple of old stone chips that have been touched up. Oh, well, no use getting sentimental. I paid £5k for it five years ago, so I suppose it has been a cheap truck in the long run. It's a shame that I put all new supension bushes, new rad, new steering idler arm, new steering ball joints and new wheel bearings on just a couple of weeks ago.
                            Well this one cannot be blamed on me or danno .......it's over two years since you played on the plain .......i still have the pics of vagrant eggs somwhere

Comment

Those fried eggs were a classic. It's a shame he ate them. They would have made a good P & P site!
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X