Life is cruel sometimes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    That can't dump a gallon of engine oil when the car is stationary.
    A patch on the drive wasn't necessarily all of it though. He might have been leaking for a while out and around.

Comment

Originally posted by bu5hwack3r View Post
      Came out to go to work this morning, and thought ' Thats a bit out of order, someone has tipped a gallon of oil under my truck' The dipstick confirmed that my initial thought was wrong !!
      Originally posted by MattF View Post
      A patch on the drive wasn't necessarily all of it though. He might have been leaking for a while out and around.
      A gallon was specified in the first post.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

A gallon was specified in the first post.
        Christ, don't get me started on that again. I think it may have been a somewhat loose exaggeration.

Comment

How did you check them?

Nothing else could leak (or store, then leak) a gallon of oil overnight. Are you 100% sure it's engine oil? Mind the oil will never be at the top mark on the dipstick, it'll always be in between the marks. Also, are you 100% sure it was filled properly after the service?

That can't dump a gallon of engine oil when the car is stationary.
          mine did.it was reasonably ok whilst driving but when i parked up it lost about 3 litres over the driveway
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

This prob won't help, but mine has a random on/off oil leak. Sometimes it seems to drop loads of oil, other days hardly any!

It seems to depend on how it's parked up, making me think that it collects somewhere then drips out later.
            My other cars a QUAD
            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Have you found the cause of the leak yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                Have you found the cause of the leak yet?
                I've now changed the rocker gasket, and re-cleaned as much of the oil from the engine as possible, and there is still a very slight leak, but this may be attributable to whats still left from the rocker gasket. I parked the truck identically to when I had the pool of oil underneath, and only a couple of spots in the morning. I can't see any other cause at all, pipes to turbo and alternator look ok, no obvious leaks from there, and dried all around sump nut and that was still ok the following day. I am of the opinion now that oil had collected from the leak from the rocker cover, and dumped itself on the road when parked at an angle. I'll continue to monitor it and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.
                If you play with fire.....

Comment

Working...
                X