Bad steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad steering

I have just bought my first surf and hit a curb after a couple of weeks.
    Since then I have had a few steering problems. I have had the tracking and balancing done and they were both ok. The problems are:

Steering wheel shaking
    Pulling to the left which is worse when moving forwards slowly, and when I put it in reverse the steering turns the opposite way.

Can anybody help or recommend a garage near chester as I am driving to France in it next week?

Thanks

At a gues if you have only hit a kurb i would put money on it being the traking. and get a second opinion, was the garage reputable. I had a similar problem recently and traked it up myself with a long piece of 6"x2" now it's purfect.

Or buckled wheel or balancing all would have been picked up by a decent garage
    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

It was checked at my local ATS which are normally pretty good.
      I have read similar problems about the idler arm or bushes would these cause the same problem?

Comment

That sounds pretty bad. Could just be a jammed brake caliper (surfs have to be kerbed pretty amazingly badly to do major damage). But a worn-out steering box could make for *similar* symptoms.

Comment

Could do but i would have thought you would have had signs before, if you only clipped a curb can't be much, did you see them check over the surf?
          www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Yeah I was there whilst they done it.
            I have just been in it now and it does not pull to the side when I accellerate quickly and it is a lot worse when I reverse as the steering wheel turned a full revolution within about 10 metres??

Comment

You've gubbed a tyre? Buckled tyres always show up as a wobble when moving slowly.

Swap the front you kerbed with one of the rears or the spare, see what happens.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

And, in the interests of increasing my post count...

A buckled tyre may not show when the wheels are balanced and almost never noticed when the whels are aligned.

Balancing is done rotationally (longitudinally), buckled tyres are acting latitudinally.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I will give it a try.
                  Thanks for all posts

Comment

Just changed the front wheel and it seems to have done the trick.
                    Thanks all.

Comment

i would get that tyre checked over - you dont want it to blow-out at speed!
                      Landcruiser Colorado
                      Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                      X