oil in expansion tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil in expansion tank

why'll driving at 70ish there was a screeching noise and motor died for a few seconds then it carrid on as norm. for a few days all was ok but then it gradually got harder to start. with clouds of smoke from exhaust. now it won't start at all.just fires now and again like an old cement mixer!. checked oil and it was very low and water in expansion tank is black with oil. is it turbo, head or head gasket. hope someone can help cos i luv my surf. thanx....

Yes it was just lack of power for about five seconds then all good for a few days.. any checks i can do to find prob before i start putting my hard earned in the hands of a grease monkey.
    Last edited by Bluebirdsurfer; 14 January 2008, 18:25.
    STEVIE J

Sounds ominous. Probably the head. You can get the coolant tested for gases. Good luck mate.

Comment

Could be the head, but those are some weird symptoms.
      Sounds like a dropped ring or destroyed valve sleeve.
      By 'motor died for a few seconds' do you mean lost power, or stopped turning?

If it's as bad as it sounds, you're not going to be repairing it yourself -- get it to a good mechanic!

Comment

Originally posted by sjkiwi63@hotmail.co.uk
        why'll driving at 70ish there was a screeching noise and motor died for a few seconds then it carrid on as norm. for a few days all was ok but then it gradually got harder to start. with clouds of smoke from exhaust. now it won't start at all.just fires now and again like an old cement mixer!. checked oil and it was very low and water in expansion tank is black with oil. is it turbo, head or head gasket. hope someone can help cos i luv my surf. thanx

Have you checked the engine oil level?
        Oil in the coolant is usually a leaking oil cooler gasket. The cooler is bolted to the side of the engine, the part that the oiol filter screws onto.

If oil can get into the cooling system, can it can be assumed that water can get into the engine causing the white smoke and rough running problems.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Have you checked the engine oil level?
          Oil in the coolant is usually a leaking oil cooler gasket. The cooler is bolted to the side of the engine, the part that the oiol filter screws onto.

If oil can get into the cooling system, can it can be assumed that water can get into the engine causing the white smoke and rough running problems.
          The oil level was empty! what was the screeching sound when i lost power..i was convinced it was turbo...is the oil cooler gasket an easyish job.. thanks again for your advice.
          STEVIE J

Comment

Sounds like it's more than just an oil cooler gasket failure if there's no oil in the engine!
            The screeching noise just before the engine cut out could be the big end bearings being starved of lubrication.

The gasket is a dealer part only, your nearest dealer is on Penarth road if I remember. Remove the drivers side front wheel and the metal plate in the wheel arch to get at the oil cooler.

Re-new the gasket and re-new the engine oil & filter (7.5 litres of 15W40 oil) flush the cooling system and replenish with new de-mineralised water and anti-freeze, and see how the engine is then.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Sounds like it's more than just an oil cooler gasket failure if there's no oil in the engine!
              The screeching noise just before the engine cut out could be the big end bearings being starved of lubrication.

The gasket is a dealer part only, your nearest dealer is on Penarth road if I remember. Remove the drivers side front wheel and the metal plate in the wheel arch to get at the oil cooler.

Re-new the gasket and re-new the engine oil & filter (7.5 litres of 15W40 oil) flush the cooling system and replenish with new de-mineralised water and anti-freeze, and see how the engine is then.

thanks for your help, i,m just praying its not the head:
              STEVIE J

Comment

If you ran the engine out of oil then I would start looking for another. I'd say you have destroyed it by the sounds you said it made.

Nev

Comment

trustworthy mechanic near cardiff?

is there an honest mechanic near cardiff as i need an honest diagnosis before i spend next years housekeeping?
                  STEVIE J

Comment

Originally posted by sjkiwi63@hotmail.co.uk View Post
                    thanks for your help, i,m just praying its not the head:
                    I'd be praying it was the head by the sounds of what you've done to it.
                    Would work out a lot cheaper.
                    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Could be the oil cooler as Vince said (common fault with oil in water) then due to low oil the turbo has failed ? With low oil its normally top end or turbo before the bottom end goes.
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                      X