Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ooop's I think I've broken it?

This one's got me stumped.

I've been preparing the mrs motor for MOT & found a fuel pump leak. I've pressure washed the engine (to look for the leak) and the leak misteriously stopped.

Today we have been out and the throttle is behaving a bit weard.

It started by the idle speed dropping to 500rpm, then when we came from Asda the revs refused to drop below 1100 rpm. I've just been out now and the revs suddenly refused to respond, could get max 1500rpm on full throttle (about 15mph on the road)

I stopped and removed the TPS sensor cable sprayed it with WD and refit it, no differance, stopped again and removed the ECD fuse, left it out about 2-3 mins, re-fit it and it was off, full power and everything.

This worked until I had to stop, once it went back to idle it would not rev again.

Sometimes it just picks back up and will rev normally, sometime I cannot get it to rev up again.

There is no fault code displayed.

I'm thinking throttle position sensor fault. any thoughts
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Originally posted by coolsv650
    This one's got me stumped.

I've been preparing the mrs motor for MOT & found a fuel pump leak. I've pressure washed the engine (to look for the leak) and the leak misteriously stopped.

Today we have been out and the throttle is behaving a bit weard.

It started by the idle speed dropping to 500rpm, then when we came from Asda the revs refused to drop below 1100 rpm. I've just been out now and the revs suddenly refused to respond, could get max 1500rpm on full throttle (about 15mph on the road)

I stopped and removed the TPS sensor cable sprayed it with WD and refit it, no differance, stopped again and removed the ECD fuse, left it out about 2-3 mins, re-fit it and it was off, full power and everything.

This worked until I had to stop, once it went back to idle it would not rev again.

Sometimes it just picks back up and will rev normally, sometime I cannot get it to rev up again.

There is no fault code displayed.

I'm thinking throttle position sensor fault. any thoughts

If there's no fault code showing then I would have thought it's something to do with the fuse box containing the ECD relay. If you can, give it a blow out with an airline.

Comment

cheers Vince, I'll be giving it a blow out in the morning (ooh errr missus)

Comment

sounds exactly like when i broke down on the way back from woodlands last year. It cleared itself after trying to rev it up and back down for about 30 minutes, then giving up and calling the RAC. I left the car for an hour or so after i'd called them waiting for them to come out, then went back to it started up and she drove fine. I put it down to water getting in something but never worked out what, it was a particularly wet day.

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes fine in the morning.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
          sounds exactly like when i broke down on the way back from woodlands last year. It cleared itself after trying to rev it up and back down for about 30 minutes, then giving up and calling the RAC. I left the car for an hour or so after i'd called them waiting for them to come out, then went back to it started up and she drove fine. I put it down to water getting in something but never worked out what, it was a particularly wet day.

It wouldn't surprise me if it goes fine in the morning.
          .... It did!

Did a ECU reset, following day set off for work at 5.45am and it went OK, it seems ok since, only thing I've notices are the rev's seem to have settled on 1000 rpm now whereas before it was about 750.

I'll leave it a bit before trying to adjust it, don't want to tempt fate so near to the MOT

Comment

Working...
          X