Couple of questions on starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions on starting

Ok after a good bash at servicing the truck, Ive noticed a couple of problems that I thought would be cured are still around. I swapped out the glowplugs, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant change and oil change. Fitted the Roughtrax glowplugs thinking this would improve the cold morning starts but it does'nt. I am pretty sure it might now be the injectors that need work.

Any recommendations here on getting this done?

Also I have noticed that the bleep that used to come on when I was waiting for the plugs to warm up has stopped. I'm not sure this is revelent but it does work on the second attempt on starting even if the engine doesnt kick into life.

I have tried a diesel treatment although it was a fairly rubbish one from a supermarket as they didnt have any Redex. I don't think chucking Redex in will make that much difference but might give it ago.

I spoke to a guy that had his injectors done on a Landcrusier and it cost him £160 is this about right for this sort of job?

And finally...

This has been bugging me for a while now since having the head changed I notice that when i turn my truck over it f arts out grey smoke it soon clears but only noticed it after the head change. Is it possible this is related to the amount of stirring over the truck takes to get started?

many thanks if you can be of any help.
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Originally posted by Muddy Boots
    I have tried a diesel treatment although it was a fairly rubbish one from a supermarket as they didnt have any Redex. I don't think chucking Redex in will make that much difference but might give it ago.
    Fill the fuel filter with redex rather than putting it in the tank.
    In tank comma diesel magic seemed to gve better results for me but at the end of the day they're all just gimick additives with no long term benefit as far as i can tell

I spoke to a guy that had his injectors done on a Landcrusier and it cost him £160 is this about right for this sort of job?
    not far off the mark, around £40 an injectors about right

And finally...

This has been bugging me for a while now since having the head changed I notice that when i turn my truck over it f arts out grey smoke it soon clears but only noticed it after the head change. Is it possible this is related to the amount of stirring over the truck takes to get started?
    Almost certainly, have you checked the glowplug fuse? This could explain the poor starting if the fuse is blown. If it is the insulators on the glowplug buzz bar are probably on in the wrong order
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

If you check the 80 amp fuse and find it blown , you have probably put the buzz bar insulation washer back in the wrong place
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
        If you check the 80 amp fuse and find it blown , you have probably put the buzz bar insulation washer back in the wrong place
        Sorry it ask a stupid question but where would I find the 80 amp fuse I presume the fuse box right and if it had blown wouldnt that knock out all the glow plugs?

Comment

Sorry it ask a stupid question but where would I find the 80 amp fuse I presume the fuse box right and if it had blown wouldnt that knock out all the glow plugs?
          Fusebox in the engine bay, it's one of them big fat (red?) ones that has to be unbolted from underneath it doesn't just pull out.

And yes if it was blown it would stop all 4 plugs from working, the engine would still start though it'd just take a bit more cranking and chuck out lots of grey smoke when it did fire up.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

I will check the 80 amp fuse tomorrow. If this was gone would the glow plug relay still work?

Comment

As nero says it unbolts from underneath and you have to turn the fuse box over to do it ........But do the buzz bar before doing the fuse as you will blow the new one otherwise ,,,,,,,I speak from experience on that one

Note when the fuse box is unbolted there is enough give in the wiring to turn it
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

I will check the 80 amp fuse tomorrow. If this was gone would the glow plug relay still work?
                no the relay will not work
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                  no the relay will not work
                  Are you sure?

Mine did. I thought the only thing controlled by that fuse was the glow plugs. The relay is switched from elsewhere.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'm sure my relay works.

Comment

the relay would switch the 80 amp circuit, rather than being switched by it. So would probably still switch if the fuse was gone no??
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

When mine went you got the first click and that was it the click at the end of heating never happened there foe the relay was not working ......also replaced the relay as mine was duff
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Quick update.

Just openned top of fuse box and it appears the 80 amp fuse has blown. I think this has been broken for awhile as replacing the glow plugs has made no difference to the cold starts compared to the way it previously turned over.

many thanks for the advise on this guys part is ordered from Rough Trax and hopefully be landing on Thursday.

Comment

As has already been mentioned, before replacing the fuse, check the order of the insulators on the glow plug buzz bar, can't remember offhand what the actual order is but the bar needs to be insulated from everything basically except the push on electrical connection.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                              As has already been mentioned, before replacing the fuse, check the order of the insulators on the glow plug buzz bar, can't remember offhand what the actual order is but the bar needs to be insulated from everything basically except the push on electrical connection.
                              My mate fitted the glowplugs while I was fitting a new front wheel stud so I never got a chance to see what was going on there.

I spoke to him yesterday and he reckons he fitted them correctly. Can you explain what you mean by order and where I should check that the bar is insulated from?

Sorry to be a dumba.s about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X