Slight vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight vibration

Since changing back to standerd rims i can feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. When i jack the front up there is slight play on the nearside wheel if i push/pull top and bottom. Is there any adjustments that can be done or will it be the bearing??????????

Cheers.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

you can adjust the bearing, if i could be bothered id find a suitable thread for you, but its all here somewhere

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy
      Since changing back to standerd rims i can feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel. When i jack the front up there is slight play on the nearside wheel if i push/pull top and bottom. Is there any adjustments that can be done or will it be the bearing??????????

Cheers.

Jack the wheel off the ground.
      Remove the wheel.
      Undo the six nuts around the hub bearing cover plate.
      Extract the cone washers, place a cloth over the cover plate if you need to tap it off with a hammer, as the cone washers will ping off into oblivion!
      Remove circlip from shaft.
      Bend back the tab on the lock washer and remove.
      Tighten nut using a 55mm socket until the brake disc is just about too stiff to turn.
      Replace wheel temporarily to check free play.
      Tighten or loosen the bearing nut accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Jack the wheel off the ground.
        Remove the wheel.
        Undo the six nuts around the hub bearing cover plate.
        Extract the cone washers, place a cloth over the cover plate if you need to tap it off with a hammer, as the cone washers will ping off into oblivion!
        Remove circlip from shaft.
        Bend back the tab on the lock washer and remove.
        Tighten nut using a 55mm socket until the brake disc is just about too stiff to turn.
        Replace wheel temporarily to check free play.
        Tighten or loosen the bearing nut accordingly.

Nice one vince,i can understand that........almost I'll have a wee look at tmrw after work. Check and see if my calipers are still there while i'm at it!!!

Comment

Dont bother having a look until you've got that 55mm socket at hand or are ready with hammer and old screwdriver to beat huge nuts with

Comment

55mm socket
            Is it definately 55mm. As i seem to remember being told it was 25mm??

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST
              Is it definately 55mm. As i seem to remember being told it was 25mm??
              You'd need a very very very very big hammer to get a 25mm socket on that nut!

Comment

You'd need a very very very very big hammer to get a 25mm socket on that nut!
                Ok, so, 55mm socket. And a hammer and small chisel. But whats the hammers and small chisel for then???

Comment

Ok, so, 55mm socket. And a hammer and small chisel. But whats the hammers and small chisel for then???

All explained here....

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...ringsfront.htm

Comment

Cheers m8. Looks simple enough.

Comment

Cheers m8. Looks simple enough.
                      Actually, it can be a total PITA, the damn things freeze up like crazy.

Just to check -- you did get the tyre balance re-checked first, right?

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy
                        Nice one vince,i can understand that........almost I'll have a wee look at tmrw after work. Check and see if my calipers are still there while i'm at it!!!
                        For f sake dont use a hammer and screwdriver method as advised.
                        the locking nut has a highish torque setting for a good reason.

If you are really unsure and can be arsed come over and I will do it.

And forget the prise of the hub cover nonsenses the easy way is to use two bolts in the thread holes provided in the hub face and draw the plate off bit at a time leave the cone washer nuts on the ends of the threads once the hub plate is drawn forward remove the bolts tap back on and all the cone washers will be free but held on by the nuts. remove nuts cone washers fall off hub plate free.
                        Last edited by yoshie; 15 December 2007, 10:57.
                        Brian

Comment

Well thats it done

Used the list provided by Vince and a phone call from Carl ( when he didn't get my answering machine ) and thats it. Got a 55mm socket from the workshop at work this morning. Makes a change having the right tool for a job!!!! The nut was quite loose and took a quater turn before any resistance. Disc still moves
                          Pads,calipers and bearing thingy bobber done in a week!!!!!! What will next week bring???????? Need to buy some good tools now.

Cheers for the help guys,much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                          X