No announcement yet.

Honestly, whats an harmonic damper ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly, whats an harmonic damper ????

Am going somewhere I've never been before and am doing my timing belt coz I dont know when if ever it was done (172,000km now).
    Anyway so far so good, I took the rad out first for a bit of room and now have the aircon unit in the shed beside the rad and a bucket full of labelled bits and bobs. I figured out the crack with the tensioning of the three power suckers: aircon / alternator / water pump, loosened them all and got the belts off (fluck Milners I now know for sure their aircon belt is toooooo short by a mile). Have the fan off and have the outer crankshaft pulleys off... so tonights teaser in the head is how I'll be getting that 19mm crankshaft nut off - with a manual gearbox is it simply a case of putting it in gear, and also I cant figure how the aircon support bracket is gonna help yet.

And after reading up on a related site, I'm asking what the hell is a harmonic damper and is it the main drive pulley for the alternator ???

Its probably here:

"And after reading up on a related site, I'm asking what the hell is a harmonic damper and is it the main drive pulley for the alternator ???"

Yeah Jim the pulley is the harmonic damper. It has the rubber bit between the center and the flange to change the resonance and kill some of the vibration.

To undo the pulley nut you put the car in gear and get someone to stand on the brake pedal while you undo it. It's a normal RH thread with a 19mm hexagon. You have to pull the pulley off by using a bar puller and 2 bolts that fit into the holes in the center of the pulley DON'T pull it off by using a puller that grips the edge coz the pulley might break in 2.

You have to undo the aircon compressor (4 bolts) and then take the mounting bracket off (another 4 bolts) to get the cam belt cover off.

Comment

thanks Elvie

Comment

damper

you dont need to disconect the air con pipes just undo the 4aircon mounting bolts and you can leave the aicon pump and pipes alone you say you have the aircon pump in the shed so you will have to have the aircon recharged . with the aircon pump un bolted you can just move it out the way with the two pipes to the top of it still conected. another triic to undo the crank bolt put 19mm socket on it on a breaker bar and rest the breaker bar on the nearside chassie top and momentarilly turn the ignition key to turn the engine over but dont let it start that will be enough to to undo the bolt . pitty toyota didnt make the idler arm bracket that carries the air con idler pully unbolt from the air con bracket

Comment

"another triic to undo the crank bolt put 19mm socket on it on a breaker bar and rest the breaker bar on the nearside chassie top and momentarilly turn the ignition key to turn the engine over but dont let it start that will be enough to to undo the bolt ."

This is the method I used but - BE VERY CAREFULL

Turn key to Start and off again very quickly.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by gerry mann
            you say you have the aircon pump in the shed so you will have to have the aircon recharged
            It wasnt working/charged anyway so I didnt hesitate to remove the lot

Thanks for the tips... might have a go tomorrow eve but I dont have a battery to start with, theres been plenty of other suggestions too, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              "another triic to undo the crank bolt put 19mm socket on it on a breaker bar and rest the breaker bar on the nearside chassie top and momentarilly turn the ignition key to turn the engine over but dont let it start that will be enough to to undo the bolt ."

This is the method I used but - BE VERY CAREFULL

Turn key to Start and off again very quickly.

Neville
              I used this method once, just for entertainment value. It works superb, but scare the crap out of your mates who are watching and think your nutz!

Jim, been there, done that......

http://yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthr...monic+balencer
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I did mine with a 19mm socket, bar and a sharp tap with a rubber mallet. I must remember to put it back with the camping gear!
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

He he! You cant get yours off and mine keeps loosening on me! Whats a boy to do?
                  Derek :
                  1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                  [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Working...
                  X