Photos of todays work changing upper ball joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of todays work changing upper ball joint

So I changed one of the upper ball joints today and took a few photos of the work.

I started by taking off these nuts

Then I pulled this pin with a pliers and removed the nut with a $$$$py vicegrip. Get a 24mm closed spanner to do it cos the vicegrip was a last resort. Next week for the other side ill have a 24mm and a 22mm spanner. The 22mm is for the new one that has a smaller nut.

I couldnt get the ball joint out after i used the splitter tool cos there wasnt enough room so I put something in this space and it gave me moor room when I let the jack down and the lower nut nested on the brick.

You can see in the above picture where I put that tool to give me more room to get the ball joint out and the new one in. It kept that part (i dont know the name of it but the part with the 4 holes for the bolts) from dropping so much and I had more space, I only needed a few more cm.

I had to guide everything together as I lowered the surf and it all went together good

This is it finished
    The hardest part of the whole job was removing the big nut because I didnt have the wright tool. I had to use a vicegrip which is a bad idea but it worked with a lot of effort

Sure Ill put in a photo of the great surf itself with new tires too. What do you think?
    Last edited by irishoffroad; 21 October 2007, 12:59.

Originally posted by irishoffroad
    So I changed one of the upper ball joints today and took a few photos of the work. Im still trying to upload the photos.
    wheres the pics then lol

Comment

Wheres the BLOOD and empty BEER CANS
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        Wheres the BLOOD and empty BEER CANS
        What do you mean? I got all liquored before I started the job.

Comment

Why didn't you just insert an allen/hex key into the end of the threaded part to hold it still while loosening the nut? Worked well for me.
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel
            Why didn't you just insert an allen/hex key into the end of the threaded part to hold it still while loosening the nut? Worked well for me.
            Not sure I know what you mean. Any help for the other side would be great.

Comment

If you look at the end of the threaded part of the BJ you will notice that it has a slot where you put an allen key to hold it still when loosening or tightening the 22mm nut. Stops the whole lot spinning when using just a spanner (or vicegrip).

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel
                If you look at the end of the threaded part of the BJ you will notice that it has a slot where you put an allen key to hold it still when loosening or tightening the 22mm nut. Stops the whole lot spinning when using just a spanner (or vicegrip).
                Oh right under the bolt, but I was ok there, it didn't spin around as I was lostening the nut, there was bugger all room to get the vicegrip around the nut, that was my main prob so the spanner will fix that.

Comment

Got ya, well other side should be a slice of gateux then

Comment

I did the other side yesterday and now it seams to be a bit tighter on the corners so thats a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X