Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gnsalm

Greetings all
    I have an annoying recurrent problem with my 2.4 ssrx 1992 diesel surf. Some time ago I was returning home on the motorway when both eng check lt and turbo lt came on. Working on the principle of if it still runs then keep running, I plodded on at a racy 40 mph (as that is all it would do - even less uphill) for 40 miles when everything became good again and the lights went out. Shortly after that on initial start every morning it would start and immediately cut out unless revved. If you then push the ignition key in and out a couple of times it runs fine for quite some time, but at completely random occasions when the revs hit 600 or lower it will cut out again. Imagine the fun I have when slowing down behind a middle lane driver on the motorway or at rush hour going round a roundabout- the school run mum loves me lots!!
    I have done a diagnostic and got the number 12 - timer control valve. I have since reset everything but whenever it cuts out there is nothing on the diagnostics. Could it be the pump or maybe the ignition barrel. Any pointers would be much appreciated. This will make you laugh - I took the beast to the local toyota agent.....????????!!!!!!!! Useless

when was the last time it was serviced and when you put the new fuel filter on fill it first with redex to give the fuel system a good clean
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

gnsalm

Thanks for replying, it was serviced about 3 months ago but all I did was put a whole bottle of injector cleaner in an almosy empty fuel tank and drove it like I stole it for 20 mins or so, but I will certainly try what you suggested.
      Many thanks

Comment

Mine does EXACTLY the same thing but doesn't cut out EVERY time the revs get low.

I have had the pump recalibrated, had fuel filter changed and still the same. In fact it got $$$$ing worse after the pump was done!!!!!

If you get yours fixed would you be kind enough to let me know what the problem was?

My email is razorhoof@hotmail.co.uk
        www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Comment

try getting someone to test the tps switch and the crank sensor.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gnsalm
            Thanks for replying, it was serviced about 3 months ago but all I did was put a whole bottle of injector cleaner in an almosy empty fuel tank and drove it like I stole it for 20 mins or so, but I will certainly try what you suggested.
            Many thanks
            Ok where in wilts are you as i am just south of devizes .........I'm good at breaking them
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
              Ok where in wilts are you as i am just south of devizes .........I'm good at breaking them
              no no.. your the BEST at breaking them

sounds like its posessed
              may need an exorcism
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I,m in Highworth Woodzie and hav'nt tried anything yet as I am going away for a week or so, but I intend to change the fuel filter again when I get back and do the redex thing as well to see if that does anything. Razorhoof if I have any luck I will drop you a line. Just as a side issue, during the recent floods around here I drove through some v.deep water (just below the bonnet) and all my warning lights came on as well as the annoying continuous beep noise. The engine kept going OK and it all stopped when I reached drier land - is this normal?

Comment

I think yes. Apache mentioned something about this in one of the posts. It's to do with water getting into the alternator. So long as you didn't get any in the air filter box it should be OK. However, also work checking your front and rear diffs as water can get in the breather holes and could screw your rear diff/axle.
                  Mike G

Comment

Working...
                  X