Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in 4wd High..Please Help

Gday all,

I'm fairly new to the surf and yesterday as i tried to take my surf for a spin around the block in 4wd as i was instructed by a mechanic, when i tried to reverse it to disengage 4wd it would not come out and the 4wd light remains on.

This has happened to me before and eventually it went back to normal, however this time im trying not to drive it so i dont cause wind up.

I've been searching your site for about three hours and have got some good ideas but not being very mechanically minded are there any simple steps that i should take before forking out to some mechanic.

Any hints or tips to remedy the problem would be greatly appreciated!

P.s. my ride is a 91 ssr-x manual 2.4, she's a beauty

Thanks so much for any help!!!
    Last edited by ozsurfssr-x; 28 May 2007, 03:00.

Update.

Disconnected the box underneath the stereo. After trying going forward and backwards on gravel for about half an hour which didn't seem to work.

Just wondering does disconnecting the box definately disable 4wd mode or does it just turn the dash light off? Also i have left it unplugged until i can get it into the local 4wd place will this do any damage leaving it unplugged?

Regards,

Rookie Sam

Comment

I don't think your mechanic gave you good advice.

Surf's can only be driven in 4 wheel drive on loose road surfaces as there is no front differential. Have a read here...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ight=diff+wind

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

you may have a split vacume hose!

2nd gen surfs in 4wd on hard surface is not a good idea!!
        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by ozsurfssr-x
          Gday all,

I'm fairly new to the surf and yesterday as i tried to take my surf for a spin around the block in 4wd as i was instructed by a mechanic, when i tried to reverse it to disengage 4wd it would not come out and the 4wd light remains on.
          why dont you press the button that says 4wd? i bet you have done this and not mentioned it (sarky but sorry...)
          on my 2.4 when i want to get out of 4wd i have to drive forward so the car can roll on its own then take my foot off accellerator and let it roll and dont touch anything until the light goes out and i hear it click out. normally as soon as i take my foot off and have released the button.

im not sure why anyone would want to go round the block in 4wd unless its a dirt track. you wont notice any difference from 2wd unless its wet...
          ive never reversed mine to get it out of 4wd
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Re

I think you only need to reverse when you are trying to disengage the 4 wheel drive on the "manual type" hubs that can be fitted to the front wheels!

This is done presumably after you "tickle" the hubs to the "unlocked" position!

Gary

Comment

Smells like transmission wind up , Tonyn is your man for advice where thats concerned. As mentioned a million times in years past. Do not under any circumstances use 4wd unless on loose/ slippy ground. Have a word with that mechanic, tell him to find the centre diff on your truck
              http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

yeh i may not know a whole lot about the truck yet but i definately know that the button was clicked out and still would not disengage no matter what i tried, so im going to have to get it checked out at some stage anyway, probably something eletrical or in the vacumn as was mentioned.

Having said that being a young bloke having this happen had made me force myself to lear alot more about how things work so i guess there's always to positive isn't there!!

Thanks for all the advice anyway fellas, and yes that mechanic should learn a bit more about 4wd's and know that what works for one wont work for all!

Cheers,
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by ozsurfssr-x
                  yeh i may not know a whole lot about the truck yet but i definately know that the button was clicked out and still would not disengage no matter what i tried, so im going to have to get it checked out at some stage anyway, probably something eletrical or in the vacumn as was mentioned.

Having said that being a young bloke having this happen had made me force myself to lear alot more about how things work so i guess there's always to positive isn't there!!

Thanks for all the advice anyway fellas, and yes that mechanic should learn a bit more about 4wd's and know that what works for one wont work for all!

Cheers,
                  Sam
                  if your going to drive it to somewhere to be looked at, either make sure you have no bends, or make sure its a realy slippery track
                  i no nothing about how it works underneath, but the sense of feeling you get when you need to move that hi-lo lever... nothing like it
                  must be a vac hose like someone said..
                  hope you get it sorted
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                  X