Turbo Charger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Charger.

Can anyone tell me how freely their Turbo spins? Mine does not spin freely if I give it a flick with my finger. It stops very quickly although it spins at idle and produces pressure ok????

That's normal, mine is the same.

Comment

Turbos aren't meant to be flicked.
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Ha haaa!!!
        www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Comment

I think he meant 'bean'.
          www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Comment

funny you should say that, i had all my pipes off yesterday and was cleaning the oil out of the turbo with carb cleaner (make sure you last pipe is off when you do this it will completly ruin your engine if it sucks in carb cleaner)
            afterwards i spun it by twisting the centre bit, and was surprised to see it spin a good while before slowing to a stop.
            if the engine is running, i was able to turn the key off, walk round to the front and then watch it slow down and stop.

when i have been making exhausts for supposed 'sports cars' eg fiat coupe turbos (one in particular 300hp apparently) ive been curious and spun their turbos and pretty much right after you stop turning the shaft the turbo will come to a halt. and turning it is an effort too.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

It depnds how tight the seals are, it more important that you hold the end and try and pull it in and out, or up and down to find play in the bearings.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I only ask as when I rev up the engine with the pipe disconnected I get oil sprayed over my arm from the turbo. Obviously the seals are gone but there is no play in the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by gkm24
                  I only ask as when I rev up the engine with the pipe disconnected I get oil sprayed over my arm from the turbo. Obviously the seals are gone but there is no play in the bearings.
                  the turbo is oil cooled tho so if you have taken a pipe off and got the engine running then you are bound to get oil spray out at you.
                  Someone correct me if i am wrong please and then you can nominate me then also for iotw
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I hear what you are saying but its the pipe that goes to the inlet manifold so should not spray oil into it. Anyway, I will pull it apart and see whats up.

Comment

Working...
                    X