cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling system

why oh why do surfs have such problems bleeding the cooling system? it sdoesnt seem to matter if its a 2.4 or 3.0 either looking at the posts. ive finally got mine running now (thanks bushwacker again )it was very smokey at first but i think that was due to me filling the fuel filter up with half a litre of redex!!is it true after fitting new gasket/head/etc you should run the vehicle with no antifreeze and a coolant flush in it for a few hundred miles to ensure the gasket doesnt become contaminated with ethylene glycol in the coolant? i have done this,have got about 9 litres in so far, but in hot weather will just plain water be ok ?my hoses have stoppped pressurising so much now and i get the odd burp out of it now and again.has anyone looked at a mod in which you could put another 12v water pump into the system somehow?? would this help? i could do the physical part but brains aint me strong point
    DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

You could fit an air bleed fitting like a few of us have........

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...ight=air+bleed

Comment

Only know of one or two Surf owners installing an Electric Water Pump. Not a good idea in my opinion.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ric+water+pump

This from the old Forum.
      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...t=davies+craig

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
        is it true after fitting new gasket/head/etc you should run the vehicle with no antifreeze and a coolant flush in it for a few hundred miles to ensure the gasket doesnt become contaminated with ethylene glycol in the coolant? i have done this,have got about 9 litres in so far, but in hot weather will just plain water be ok ?
        I've heard this should be done on some vehicles. Don't think it applies to the Surf though. Something to do with a certain compound head gaskets are made of. No idea which gaskets or vehicles though. Straight demineralised water won't hurt though for a short time.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          You could fit an air bleed fitting like a few of us have........

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...ight=air+bleed
          Errmmm, I still ain't fitted it yet Vince. I spent that long trying to get the cooling system sealed last time I modded it, (poxy soddin' brass tube), that I ain't had the heart to disturb it again. (Yet).

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            Errmmm, I still ain't fitted it yet Vince. I spent that long trying to get the cooling system sealed last time I modded it, (poxy soddin' brass tube), that I ain't had the heart to disturb it again. (Yet).

I know what you mean, if it's working OK then leave well alone.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              I know what you mean, if it's working OK then leave well alone.
              Yeah, I know I'm being a coward, but..... It's sat there waiting to go on, but I'm gonna' wait until I have to do something else on the cooling system before fitting it. (Which knowing me shouldn't be too long). BTW, that just got me thinking, I'll have to update THE thread with the verdict upto just.

Comment

Can i ask, why is it not a good idea to fit an electric water pump? i was thinking of doing just that, in conjunction of course with the standard pump, as long as ya get the flow in the same direction i could'nt see any problems except maybe before the stat opens, i was thinking it would help with flow if fitted to heater side of the system especially if your contemplating doin a second heated veg oil tank or the preheater to one, we used to fit electric pumps to bus systems to help pump to the front of the bus (demisters heaters etc) as the engine pump had a struggle pushing it that far, i got one of the pumps but its 24volt (bugga) also is it not a good idea to run on demineralised water and anti-freeze all the time?
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  Yeah, I know I'm being a coward, but..... It's sat there waiting to go on, but I'm gonna' wait until I have to do something else on the cooling system before fitting it. (Which knowing me shouldn't be too long). BTW, that just got me thinking, I'll have to update THE thread with the verdict upto just.

Oh no!

you wouldn't, would you? think of the newbies that may stumble upon it, poor souls.

Comment

Working...
                  X