HELP!!! Can't set timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Can't set timing

Hi all. I've just fitted a new head. Trying to set the timing now - Cam lines up okay but then try and line up crank and it locks - just can't turn it.

Does anyone know what's going on?
    Vic

how to change the timing belt

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/timingbelt.htm

good pics of the timing marks.

if you've tightened the head (stretch bolts) and the timing is really out, maybe you can remove the cam to stop the valves hitting the pistons (assuming thats whats wrong - not sure!) then set the marks as per the pics.

leave the glow plugs out so there's no compression (although that shouldn't be the problem)
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

You were right Boyo - moved the cam, positioned crank and then tightened cam. Everything is turning okay now. Only slight problem is the cup around oneof the valves (the one right at the back of course!) is sticking. As the valve opens there is a loud pop where this cup is sticking. Not sure why, but it looks like the cam will have to come out again to sort it out. Thanks Boyo. Vic
      Vic

Comment

Glad its sorted.

Not sure about your cup sticking problem - changing the timing belt is the furthest I've been into my engine!

Comment

I've never had the head off but would assume if timing marks for Crank and Cam are not in the correct position while the head is bolted down there would be a risk of damage such as a valve touching a piston and being bent in the process.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
            I've never had the head off but would assume if timing marks for Crank and Cam are not in the correct position while the head is bolted down there would be a risk of damage such as a valve touching a piston and being bent in the process.

Nev
            Hi Nev,

Agreed - I was pondering this last night - if a valve has been bent coz the timing was out then its off with the head (again, ouch and new bolts).

Would have needed a lot of pressure to bend one though.

Vic1958 - is the sticking problem resolved?

Comment

Yes Boyo - it is a cracked valve lifter. Thankfully the valve itself isn't bent, so the head can stay on! Just waiting for the new lifter to arrive.
              Vic

Comment

Working...
              X