Suddenly, Im a boy racer........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly, Im a boy racer........

Further to a question I posed a week or so ago about adjusting the fuel pump, I have been turning the adjuster screw down on a daily basis to see how far i could go before noticing a lack of power. Its now almost a complete turn anticlockwise from the starting point and the old truck has never run so well. Loads of low end power, almost instant throttle response from anywhere in the rev range, and the gears are changing in far more appropriate places (ie when you need them to). The other thing that is started doing is audibly dumping pressure from the wastegate in an embarrisingly 'hot hatch' fashion if I give it plenty of welly. Is this normal, or has my surf been parked too close to the neighbours XR3 and caught something? Im tempted to keep turning it down but I dont know if I would be leaning the fuel out to much and possibly doing harm to the engine. Any suggestions?
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

You sure you're turning it down??????

Dave

Comment

pretty sure. All the threads I read before touching it said that clockwise turned it up, and when did that i got no more power but loads (and I mean LOADS) of thick black smoke. Turning it back to the starting point got rid of the smoke and it went back to a bit of whitish smoke at startup, now there is hardly any smoke at all.
      Paul

Comment

Oh , and the fuel economy has vastly improved too.
        Paul

Comment

Right now. I went clockwise with mine, half a turn and noticed a big improvement to performance. I assume I am increasing the fuel. Are you saying there's better results from anticlock wise. I assume your'e leaning yours. Can anyone say what is the best way to turn the screw? What is everyone else doing?

Comment

Dont ask me! I was told on a previous thread that the reason I got no improvement and loads of smoke when I went clockwise could be that someone had messed with the pump before me and it could already have been over fueling. Kinda makes sense, but I cant understand why the performance is getting better if Im turning the pump down, and my main concern is can I be hurting the engine (or the pump) if I turn it down too far?
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
              Dont ask me! I was told on a previous thread that the reason I got no improvement and loads of smoke when I went clockwise could be that someone had messed with the pump before me and it could already have been over fueling. Kinda makes sense, but I cant understand why the performance is getting better if Im turning the pump down, and my main concern is can I be hurting the engine (or the pump) if I turn it down too far?
              BANG!
              Only joking
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                BANG!
                Only joking
                caused by .....?
                Paul

Comment

IT WAS A JOKE!!!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Oh, didnt see the only joking bit, too distracted by the loud bang.
                    Paul

Comment

Im guessing that i I turn it down to much, to the point of starving the engine of fuel, It would run so badly that i i would notice before any harm was done?
                      Paul

Comment

On a 2.4, I think this might be a pertinent point if you're going for a leaner mix:

http://forums.hypography.com/chemist...e-run-hot.html

In short, leaner mix = more total combustion = better running but with more heat = be careful messing with that screw.

Comment

Good point, well put. I have kept an eye on the guage and if anything i would have said that it seemed to be running a few degrees cooler than before, but that could be my imagination. Surely the engine would run noticably hotter if it was about to melt a ring or put a hole in the pistons? Plus, Im in the process of getting hold of an intercooler, so wouldnt that help to combat a few degrees of extra heat in the combustion chamber, or is one going to cancel out the other?
                          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
                            Good point, well put. I have kept an eye on the guage and if anything i would have said that it seemed to be running a few degrees cooler than before, but that could be my imagination. Surely the engine would run noticably hotter if it was about to melt a ring or put a hole in the pistons? Plus, Im in the process of getting hold of an intercooler, so wouldnt that help to combat a few degrees of extra heat in the combustion chamber, or is one going to cancel out the other?
                            I think it's the heat in the exhaust that you should be worrying about. Especially with those heads.

Comment

so you think I should turn it back up a bit?
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X