All the best

Comment

In my case Nev the timing was spot on !

Comment

Oh Fenman don't tell me that, I'm running out of options now
        All the best

Comment

knock

Is your ecu light coming on and have you done the ecu test ?, if so what was the outcome ?, make sure that the diesel leak off pipe is clear and the holes in the washers under the pipe are not blocked. You can get a heavy diesel knock if the leak off is'nt working, especially under load.
          Cheers, Steve.

Comment

In my case Steve cracking the injectors will surely eliminate any diesel knock on respective cylinders though i understand what you are saying ..... And i definitely can hear the knock coming from number 1 cylinder at the top though i know these noises can be deceptive sometimes. The fact that it changes tone slightly as the oil pressure comes up confuses me slightly though ?

Comment

CHEERS stevo, the engine check light came on before i changed the turbo (now it's not) It will be wednesday before I get chance to do the check.
              will post findings
              Chers col
              All the best

Comment

knock

Originally posted by fenman666
                In my case Steve cracking the injectors will surely eliminate any diesel knock on respective cylinders though i understand what you are saying ..... And i definitely can hear the knock coming from number 1 cylinder at the top though i know these noises can be deceptive sometimes. The fact that it changes tone slightly as the oil pressure comes up confuses me slightly though ?

What you are describing sounds like you have a piston hitting the cylinder head, usually because of excess clearance at the big end, you said you checked tolerances and the crank was ok, what measurement did you get ? and did you measure the crank top to bottom and side to side ? ( to measure for ovality). I have never seen a damaged small end they are pretty bomb proof , you can also get excess clearance in the con rod housing after a shell has spun, what was the state of the shell, was it worn very thin like steel shim ? the oil pressure will quieten a big end noise slightly.
                Cheers, Steve.

Comment

Well head is now off.... no contact between piston and valves so i have removed number 1 piston and it shows signs of seizure .... just below the oil ring. I have spoken to Stevo and he said that in the past he has known pistons to expand and seize when overheated and when they cool down they shrink below allowed tollerances and you can end up with severe piston slap. All my remaining pistons are perfect with no play, its just number 1 which when in situ, at the top can be pushed inline with gudgeon pin and it makes a definate tap ? Any way i am in discussion with sparkz about a s/h piston which is out of a 2lt...will it be the same as a 2lt-e ? cheers Pete

Comment

Well head is now off.... no contact between piston and valves so i have removed number 1 piston and it shows signs of seizure .... just below the oil ring. I have spoken to Stevo and he said that in the past he has known pistons to expand and seize when overheated and when they cool down they shrink below allowed tollerances and you can end up with severe piston slap. All my remaining pistons are perfect with no play, its just number 1 which when in situ, at the top can be pushed inline with gudgeon pin and it makes a definate tap ? Any way i am in discussion with sparkz about a s/h piston which is out of a 2lt...will it be the same as a 2lt-e ? cheers Pete
                    Yeah, its the same block. I'm sure I have some pistons from BensonsNut's old truck, but not sure where they are.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Oh well you live and learn ...Confirmation 2.4lt and 2.4lte engine components are not the same.... gudgeon pin is larger on the lte as is the big end. Shells from lte will not even fit into lt bigend. Therefore still looking for a conrod and piston for 2.4 lte (93)
                      Last edited by fenman666; 22 February 2007, 19:38.

Comment

Oh well you live and learn ...Confirmation 2.4lt and 2.4lte engine components are not the same.... gudgeon pin is larger on the lte as is the big end. Shells from lte will not even fit into lt bigend. Therefore still looking for a conrod and piston for 2.4 lte (93)
                        I didn't know that.

If had found them, my bits would have been from a 2L/T, so no good for you anyway.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

No problem mate.... I got a couple of pistons and rods from sparkz that is how i found out but they can go into storage just in case the old 1st gen ever needs them !!!

Comment

At Last !!!!!!

Read all the posts and take note!!!!
                            new bottom end engine
                            loud rattle at over 2000 revs
                            starts ok ticks over great and runs well up to the 2K mark
                            re-con turbo
                            Found out the gasket is the thick one
                            Checked valve clearence (OK)
                            Decided to go for the low cost optoin and check the timing belt.
                            The crank and diesel pump were on line but the cam was a tooth out.
                            NOW my problem was that I went through the usual options and one of those was the timing belt, but as it started and ticked over OK I reasoned that it must be somethng else. BUT that's what it was

Now like a kitten

So remember, build it up and make sure you do the most complicated bit and line the $$$$$$ arrows up !!!!!!!!

Thank's to all
                            COL
                            All the best

Comment

Working...
                            X