Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve gap tolerance ??

Hi peeps,
    The saga continues engine starts first time, nice tick-over and smooth running. untill the revs get over 2k then rattle from top ov engine. bottom end is recon as is turbo, so i'm in the process of checking the valve clearences. from front of motor inlets are 008-008-007-008 exausts are 013-009-012-014, are these within any tolerance?
    I am trying to eliminate any possable causes so trying the bits I can test without taking the whole thing to bits.
    I have cheked the vac pipes but wondered if there is a way of checking the equivelent of the advance/retard system?
    Next thing could be a new set of injectors, is there anywhere I can get some decent recon ones?
    That's enough for now
    Cheers

I WILL be back
    All the best

Cold clearances are: intake 0.008-0.012, exhaust 0.016-0.020
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

valve clearance

Hello mate going through the same process myself !! Bought a surf, bottom end seized got it turning over... removed sump and found B/E No 4 had spun a bearing checked tolerances and fitted new std mains and bigend shells. Have run up to temp no water probs ..but a constant knock ...quite heavy coming from no 1 region .... cracked off injectors in turn and still there.. so no diesel problem ..... when sump was off checked the best i could and little ends seemed fine.. I am a thinking about taking head off next but i also want to eliminate all possible causes first as it looks as though it has had a head done? I have checked clearances (inlets from front .007 .005 .003 .011 ) (exhausts .012 .014 .016 .017) and without any history of vehicle i wondered if the head had been planed? possible contact of valves to head considering clearances ? Engine starts on the button good oil pressure sounds sweet from the exhaust. Mind you when i think about it the knock does change tone slightly as the oil pressure comes up so it must be something fed by oil ? Anyway any ideas guys? Glad i did not put front diff back on yet !!!

Comment

Linda's 3.0 that spun a big end bearing had marks on the piston top where the piston could bounce up slightly higher and hit the head where the bearing was missing, so it doesn't take a lot. If the head/block is skimmed to much or the wrong thickness head gasket used there might be contact.

Originally posted by fenman666
        Hello mate going through the same process myself !! Bought a surf, bottom end seized got it turning over... removed sump and found B/E No 4 had spun a bearing checked tolerances and fitted new std mains and bigend shells. Have run up to temp no water probs ..but a constant knock ...quite heavy coming from no 1 region .... cracked off injectors in turn and still there.. so no diesel problem ..... when sump was off checked the best i could and little ends seemed fine.. I am a thinking about taking head off next but i also want to eliminate all possible causes first as it looks as though it has had a head done? I have checked clearances (inlets from front .007 .005 .003 .011 ) (exhausts .012 .014 .016 .017) and without any history of vehicle i wondered if the head had been planed? possible contact of valves to head considering clearances ? Engine starts on the button good oil pressure sounds sweet from the exhaust. Mind you when i think about it the knock does change tone slightly as the oil pressure comes up so it must be something fed by oil ? Anyway any ideas guys? Glad i did not put front diff back on yet !!!

Comment

tappet tolerances (knocking)

Just a long shot Tony do you think the valve clearances which are fairly well out could be causing it ? Its just that i have been reading an article on yotatech and a guy set his tappets to tight and it developed a loud knock slackened them off and knock gone ? mind you his was a petrol... anyway i have removed cam and checked shells which are all unmarked and the followers do have wear on them but no scoring... worth a go ? Like i said at the moment i am a bit loath to remove head as it shows no sign of head probs.

Comment

Fenman you seem to be in the same position as me, I wondered about the gasket, but am trying anything before removing the head. I could well be kicking myself as I did'nt check the gasket. (did not know about the different thickness thing) So if you order a full set of gaskets and a head gasket from milners do you just get a standard one and will i have to re-fit a thicker one because of the recon block

I'm still going to keep it (HONEST)
            All the best

Comment

Tappet tolerances

No mate i did not know about the gasket thickness variation ... until i got a manual for the engine ..on reading through it there seems to be 3 different thickness head gaskets. But i am like you i am trying all options before head removal and with no history on the vehicle i am flying blind. I can tell someone has been into the engine side by the fresh gasket material and numerous sockets that keep dropping out from various places as i remove various components. I have read on a yank site that the 3ltr can suffer the same problem especially if high mileage and they sort it by putting a undersize set of shells in the front main only ? Seems weird to me but i think the next thing i will try is reshimming cam and give the old gal a quick fire up and see what happens! I think the 2lte seems to have quite tight tolerances ...i had a mk1 hilux pickup about 10 years ago and it had spun a bearing so i just put a new set in and away it went no problems no knocks etc and is still being used as a older shunter around the yard today.... mind you i think i recall it had a 2.2 toyota cressida engine.. anyway i will keep you posted !

Comment

Gasket thickness should be determined before installing the head by measuring piston protusion above the block. This is done by measuring each along a centreline down the block and then an average calculated. I have the specs somewhere if anyone needs them at any time.

Nev

Comment

When the mech did my head replacement (from stevo) I posed the three gaskit question and his reply was to look at the origional gaskit as they are marked with a clipped edge ( 1,2,or 3 notches ) denoting thickness.

Hope this helps.

Clive.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Looks like I need a thicker gasket !!! milners and roughtrax seem to sell a head gasket with no mention of thickness, so where do I get one from ?
                    Another thirty quid plus a new set of head bolts !

WANTED Hilux surf;
                    Without the fear of head cracking.
                    No saggy back end.
                    45 MPG.
                    No rear window problems.
                    No Black smoke.
                    New turbo.

Or I could just buy a Discovery????
                    All the best

Comment

valve tolerances

Before you go as far as removing the head try setting valve clearances first ... you describe a rattle ? What i have is a definate knock, but i am going for valve adjustment first, just as a long shot ! I will find it eventually and being as i have the luxury of not paying garage fees i can take my time......... B#####ks .. no i want to drive it ... i am off to the shed ... will keep you posted !!!

Comment

Hey Fenman, When you've sorted the motor out why not take for a test drive and to make sure it's OK you could drive it up here and fix mine !!!!!
                        All the best

Comment

Originally posted by frontman
                          Looks like I need a thicker gasket !!!
                          Are you sure the timing on Crank or Cam is not a tooth out. Either will result in possible piston and valve contact.

Gasket specs -

Piston Protrusion(mm) - Head Gasket - Thickness(mm)
                          0.68-0.77 --------------- Grade B ------ 1.40-1.50
                          0.78-0.87 ---------------- Grade D ------ 1.50-1.60
                          0.88-0.97 ---------------- Grade F ------ 1.60-1.70

If you post model and frame numbers I will look up the Toyota part numbers.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by frontman
                            Looks like I need a thicker gasket !!! milners and roughtrax seem to sell a head gasket with no mention of thickness, so where do I get one from ?
                            Most places just supply the thickest gasket to be safe, it'll make very little difference to how it runs.

Comment

Just been on to Roughtrax who supplied the gasket (Si050) and they say it is the genuine toyota part and is the thickest. Anyone had the gasket from them and was it the thick one?
                              If it is the previous posts TonyN, Nifty Nev and fenman have stoped me wasting my time and cash removing the head, CHEERS all
                              Loooks like the next job is to check the timing pulleys.

Chees again COL
                              All the best

Comment

Working...
                              X