Alternator or batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator or batteries

not sure which one has gone. I've been having to charge up the batteries on me truck quite often recently. They seam to hold charge after they've been on charge all night but if i drive for a few hours with lights and wipers on etc the next morning she wont kick over. I ve checked all the wiring and cleaned all connectors. any ideas which it will be. I dont really want to replace both alternator and batteries

Originally posted by Steptoe
    not sure which one has gone. I've been having to charge up the batteries on me truck quite often recently. They seam to hold charge after they've been on charge all night but if i drive for a few hours with lights and wipers on etc the next morning she wont kick over. I ve checked all the wiring and cleaned all connectors. any ideas which it will be. I dont really want to replace both alternator and batteries

Alternator belt tight?

You may find that only one of the batteries is knackered and is 'pulling' the other one down with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Alternator belt tight?

You may find that only one of the batteries is knackered and is 'pulling' the other one down with it.

belt is tight first thing i checked. One battery is older than the other but only by a month or two. both under 2 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Steptoe
        belt is tight first thing i checked. One battery is older than the other but only by a month or two. both under 2 year old.
        Auto electrician is your next option then, to test the output of the alternator.
        With everything switched on, do the headlights get brighter when you rev the engine?

Comment

You can check the alternator relatively easily by checking the voltage on the battery with the engine running. It should be about 14V.

If that seems ok, then, as Vince has said, it could be one battery...
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Start her up, press the idle up button, and measure the voltage on the batteries. You should be reading somewhere around 13.5V to 14.5V. If it's markedly above, alternator is $hagged. Otherwise, just nip to an auto electrician or motor factors and ask them to test the batteries.

Comment

Three separate replies within the same minute.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Great minds think alike!!!!
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Yeah sorry, I inadvertantly interupted the space/time contiuum.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Yeah sorry, I inadvertantly interupted the space/time contiuum.
                    Any chance you could do it for a tad longer next time so I can catch up with Woodzie?

Comment

Any chance you could do it for a tad longer next time so I can catch up with Woodzie?
                      no ask tonyn to do the ban
                      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                      X