Glow Plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow Plugs?

Anyone know the numbers for glowplugs from halfords? (NGK or champion i think, or possibly bosch)? for a 2.4 2nd gen? and do they need to be torqued to a certain setting? or just reasonably tight but not overtight?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Glow Plugs - 2.4

NGK Y-715R
    Bosch GPT-215 or the hotter GPT-223
    Toyota - 19850-54090

Comment

Cheers matt, should they be torqued or just screwed in?
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

They tell you on the box, the Bosch ones that I get from Roughtrax do anyway.

Not very tight, especially on the 3.0
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          They tell you on the box,
          Thaks tony, didn't think of that.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

I recently fitted a set of these...
            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220020928503

under £25 for four delivered next day!

Comment

did they fit alright and how good are they? As I think I need to get new glow plugs as engine difficult to start plenty black smoke but only on start up (well when battery's not flat on charge as we speak)
              www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ABE
                did they fit alright and how good are they? As I think I need to get new glow plugs as engine difficult to start plenty black smoke but only on start up (well when battery's not flat on charge as we speak)

They're excellent, really good quality compared to the ones I previously bought from Milners. These ones are nickel plated.

Comment

Worth mentioning to be careful when replacing them so as not to blow the fuse as well, eh Vince?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    Worth mentioning to be careful when replacing them so as not to blow the fuse as well, eh Vince?

Shut it you!

Comment

How straight forward is changing glow plugs (complete novice) and how do you avoid blowing fuse?
                      www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ABE
                        How straight forward is changing glow plugs (complete novice) and how do you avoid blowing fuse?

You need to remove the silver tube with EFI on, to get at the glowplugs, (there will be swearing when you come to re-fit it though!) then remove the plastic nut covers from the tops of the glowplugs, (if they are still there) then the nuts holding the metal strap that links the plugs together (8mm spanner or socket) unplug the electrical connection, make sure you note which way 'round the insulator goes when removing the larger nut that holds the strap to the engine bracket, (12mm socket?) then start removing the glowplugs you'll need a long 12mm socket for those.

Assemble in reverse order to the above.

Make sure the insulator washer is insulating the matal strap from the bracket on the engine and you won't blow the fuse.
                        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 January 2007, 15:10.

Comment

I assume that I should put a few hours aside for doing this

I know that this probably seems a stupid question do you need to disconnect battery aswell?
                          www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ABE
                            I assume that I should put a few hours aside for doing this

I know that this probably seems a stupid question do you need to disconnect battery aswell?

You should finish the job inside 1 hour. No need to disconnect the batteries as the electrical connector on the glowplug strap is an insulated, push-on plug, and is only 'live' when the ignition is switched on.

Comment

My opinion is always disconnect negative terminal for battery/s when working on anything electrical just in case.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X