X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No glow plug light & other lights???

Hi All,

Sorry for the newbie posts...

I'm probably showing my inexperience/newbiness but when I turn the ignition to 2nd position (all lights light up)...i can't seem to see the glow plug light ...is it the engine light? I do hear the continuous alarm/buzzer after 5s (very annoying) then a clunk/click so i gather thats the glow plugs right?? and then i turn her...sometimes it starts on first go but from cold but takes normally 2 goes (the car is stood at least 24 hours between starts as I don't user her for commuting)..then there is a fair bit of smoke which i gather is cold engine which clears up completely during the drive (no smoke even when i accelerate after the engine warmed up).

I also have the issue of lights for the heater panel and the auto box panel (to see which gear i'm in)...they seem not to be there/don't work...are these just simple light replacements? If so..can someone point me to how to replace them?

Other issues I have are which I would very much appreciate your help on :
    - back windows goes up but not down from the key which means i need to open window from inside to open back door (searched forums and typically its the other way around..i'll investigate for corrosion but any other pointers?)
    - electric mirrors don't work (i guess this could be cabling..need to take the console off..does anyone have any guides on that)
    - not sure if the suspension switch is working..how can one tell?
    - the sunroof motor is working but window not moving...does it have a chain/link system or is it more difficult?
    - i'm about to service her (fuel, oil, air) but can't seem to find info on how to drain the auto box oil...plenty of posts on how to fill her through the dipstick but not on how to drain/change filter

Well...all in all she's a great vehicle and am planning to join the thames valley 4x4 for a run in february to see how she goes...thanks for all your help so far!!!

Originally posted by tomme surf
    Hi All,

I'm probably showing my inexperience/newbiness but when I turn the ignition to 2nd position (all lights light up)...i can't seem to see the glow plug light ...is it the engine light? [B]DON'T KNOW WHAT PROBLEM IS THERE[/B] I do hear the continuous alarm/buzzer after 5s (very annoying) then a clunk/click so i gather thats the glow plugs right?? THATS THE RELAYS, SO PREHEAT WORKING OK and then i turn her...sometimes it starts on first go but from cold but takes normally 2 goes (the car is stood at least 24 hours between starts as I don't user her for commuting) SOMETIMES NORMAL IF NOT USED OFTEN AND COLD, BUT CHECK GLOW PLUGS ARE GOOD..then there is a fair bit of smoke which i gather is cold engine which clears up completely during the drive (no smoke even when i accelerate after the engine warmed up).NORMAL

I also have the issue of lights for the heater panel and the auto box panel (to see which gear i'm in)...they seem not to be there/don't work...are these just simple light replacements? If so..can someone point me to how to replace them? SOUNDS LIKE CONNECTED TO THE PRE-HEAT LIGHT NOT WORKING?!?

- back windows goes up but not down from the key which means i need to open window from inside to open back door (searched forums and typically its the other way around..i'll investigate for corrosion but any other pointers?)DO YOU HAVE A REAR WINDOW LOCK ON YOUR SURF NEXT TO/ON THE WINDOW SWITCH? IF SO LEAVE IT UNLOCKED IF YOU WANT TO USE THE KEY.
    - electric mirrors don't work (i guess this could be cabling..need to take the console off..does anyone have any guides on that)FUSE MAYBE IF ITS BOTH?
    - not sure if the suspension switch is working..how can one tell?GO OVER A SPEED HUMP AT 20MPH IN BOTH SETTINGS, SHOULD SEE DIFFERENCE. YOU MAY HAVE AFTER MARKET SHOCKS, THE ADJUSTABLE SETTING IS ONLY AVAILABLE WITH GENUINE TOYOTA REPLACEMENT PARTS/ORIGINAL PARTS.
    - the sunroof motor is working but window not moving...does it have a chain/link system or is it more difficult? PASS!
    - i'm about to service her (fuel, oil, air) but can't seem to find info on how to drain the auto box oil...plenty of posts on how to fill her through the dipstick but not on how to drain/change filterLOOK IN THE MECHANICAL/TECHNICAL SECTIONS, DO A SEARCH THERE

Well...all in all she's a great vehicle and am planning to join the thames valley 4x4 for a run in february to see how she goes...thanks for all your help so far!!!
    COOL, WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Hi All,

I'm probably showing my inexperience/newbiness but when I turn the ignition to 2nd position (all lights light up)...i can't seem to see the glow plug light ...is it the engine light? I do hear the continuous alarm/buzzer after 5s (very annoying) then a clunk/click so i gather thats the glow plugs right?? and then i turn her...sometimes it starts on first go but from cold but takes normally 2 goes (the car is stood at least 24 hours between starts as I don't user her for commuting)..then there is a fair bit of smoke which i gather is cold engine which clears up completely during the drive (no smoke even when i accelerate after the engine warmed up).

I also have the issue of lights for the heater panel and the auto box panel (to see which gear i'm in)...they seem not to be there/don't work...are these just simple light replacements? If so..can someone point me to how to replace them?

- back windows goes up but not down from the key which means i need to open window from inside to open back door (searched forums and typically its the other way around..i'll investigate for corrosion but any other pointers?)
      - electric mirrors don't work (i guess this could be cabling..need to take the console off..does anyone have any guides on that)
      - the sunroof motor is working but window not moving...does it have a chain/link system or is it more difficult?
      - i'm about to service her (fuel, oil, air) but can't seem to find info on how to drain the auto box oil...plenty of posts on how to fill her through the dipstick but not on how to drain/change filter

The glow plug light is at the bottom of the dash panel (where the speedo/rev counter etc is), at the left. It's an orange 'spring' shape. If it's not coming on then (given it does seem to start pretty much OK) it's most likely just a blown bulb in the dash.

The problem with the tailgate and key switch is most likely a broken wire between the key switch and the relay box (located next to the left hand cubby hole in the boot). You can fairly easily trace which wire it is, and then string a new one alongside (I did this on my 1st Surf).

With the suspension, you should see a green light with a shock absorber symbol come on on the bottom right of the dash, and the suspension should feel firmer. However, depending on how old the shocks are, they may be knackered and no longer working. You may be able to check that the actuators attached to the top of each shock are working by removing one, and seeing if they change when you flip the switch. Of course, a previous owner may have replaced the shocks with non adjustable ones (the Toyota adjustable ones are really expensive), and the switch no longer does anything - mine is like that.

Can't help with the others.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

With mine, if you turned the suspension to soft and drove forward and braked sharply the car rocks loads, with it on firm the car hardly rocked at all.

Bear in mind when I bought mine, the fuse had gone for the suspension so the switch did nothing and lots of older surfs have had new non-electrical shocks fitted.

The difference between the two settings is really noticeable and if you can't feel a difference it probably has had the shocks replaced.

Comment

I also have the issue of lights for the heater panel I have the same issue, and it seems to be a loose connection somewhere, i can occasionly get them to come on by wiggling the heat control side to side

- back windows goes up but not down from the key which means i need to open window from inside to open back door (searched forums and typically its the other way around..i'll investigate for corrosion but any other pointers?)Probably a broken wire in the tailgate, either on the back of the lock or where it goes thrugh the hinge

It feels a fair bit different between the 2 settings, also light on the dash, but my light doesn't work, but the suspension still does

- the sunroof motor is working but window not moving...does it have a chain/link system or is it more difficult? It's some kind of worm gear system.
          Welcome to the madhouse
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Thansk very much for all the tips...i got my weekend set out then (full of investigations and repairs)....

Comment

Working...
            X