heating probs sort off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heating probs sort off

okay so its not a surf but its pretty much the same(2.4td landcruiser)
    been out and about in it all day then went to work tonight turned it of for about fifteen mins then started it up it was blowing cold air and the temp went right up to almost boiling then the heating started blowing hot and the temp went right down to normal it did this twice the first time I put 1/2 pint of water in the second time had come home and it took about 2 1/2 pints?
    so let it cool down went out took rad cap of and it through all the extra water I had put out in a fountain of cold water?
    the other thing is if you turn the heater from hot to cold and then back again
    it stays cold until its almost boiling and then starts working and the temp drop very fast?
    any ideas no oil in the water and no water in the oil?????????

Originally posted by spoofer28
    okay so its not a surf but its pretty much the same(2.4td landcruiser)
    been out and about in it all day then went to work tonight turned it of for about fifteen mins then started it up it was blowing cold air and the temp went right up to almost boiling then the heating started blowing hot and the temp went right down to normal it did this twice the first time I put 1/2 pint of water in the second time had come home and it took about 2 1/2 pints?
    so let it cool down went out took rad cap of and it through all the extra water I had put out in a fountain of cold water?
    the other thing is if you turn the heater from hot to cold and then back again
    it stays cold until its almost boiling and then starts working and the temp drop very fast?
    any ideas no oil in the water and no water in the oil?????????

You have an air-lock in the cooling system. When the engines cold, top up with coolant, leave the rad cap off, and check level in the morning. The air should have escaped by then.

p.s. set the heaters to hot first to ensure that the air is expelled from the heater matrix.

Comment

did that last night ?
      got loads of bubbles out of the system but now when you start it the heater does not work until the temp gauge is almost in the red then on comes the heater and down goes the water temp??
      suspect it the thermostat soon find out when I remove it

Comment

Cooking

I had same thing (almost) happen this morning, started it on the drive and locked it so the windows would de-ice while I was getting ready for work. Went to leave and still (thick) ice on the windshield. checked the blowers and it was just cold air, temp looked good so off I set...... 1/2 mile up the road and the temp guage shot into the red! Limped home and took the car, have to take a look tonight to see what damage is done :-(

Rob
        Rob & Miranda

Surfing on the south coast

Comment

Originally posted by Orions_pop
          I had same thing (almost) happen this morning, started it on the drive and locked it so the windows would de-ice while I was getting ready for work. Went to leave and still (thick) ice on the windshield. checked the blowers and it was just cold air, temp looked good so off I set...... 1/2 mile up the road and the temp guage shot into the red! Limped home and took the car, have to take a look tonight to see what damage is done :-(

Rob

Seems like you both need new thermostats!

Comment

I hope your right Vince and thats all it is, I was not impressed..... I had to s$$$$e a second set of windows!

Rob
            Rob & Miranda

Comment

I hope your right Vince and thats all it is, I was not impressed..... I had to s$$$$e a second set of windows!

Rob

That should be all it is, as it seems the coolant is heating up, but the thermostat isn't opening to let the coolant into the radiator to cool down/circulate.

Comment

Cheers Vince, just quickly.... can I simply remove the stat as a temp fix or does the seal need a stat to seal properly?

Rob.
                Rob & Miranda

Comment

Cheers Vince, just quickly.... can I simply remove the stat as a temp fix or does the seal need a stat to seal properly?

Rob.

Haven't tried it myself, but it should work as the seal isn't stretched over the stat, it's just loosely fitted.

Comment

It's a compression type seal on the outer rim of the stat, sandwiched between both halfs of the alu casting housing. Just had something similar myself and you dont want to know what the outcome was. Sorry Vince
                    If at first etc? Find a BIGGER HAMMER!

Comment

striped the thermostat out cleaned it with wire wool then dunked it in boiling water till it opened then into cold water did this 5 or 6 times then cleaned it again and dunked it a couple of times refitted it to the truck and its perfect again???????????????

Comment

Thought you'd ordered a new one? The wax(?) element could be knacked on
                        the original. It may not just be due to corrosion/clogging. Not worthwhile
                        keeping the original in for what a new one costs.

Comment

Working...
                        X