Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well

I have read this thread for weeks and find it very interesting and a part of me hope it never ends ( Joking sort of)
    I am a man of old school thoughts and old type vehicles.
    I do wonder if you are doing the one worst thing we have all done in the past at some time or other, the vehicle breaks down and it must be terminal.
    I think this is going to turn out to be so simple, broken wire, bust fuse, bad connection or the like.
    Well lads keep it up I shall be reading with the utmost interest.
    Thanks to you all
    the Skiper!!

Comment

No Happy ending ??

I read through this whole thread last night like it was a novel. I couldnt wait to get to the end to see if it was happy or not. Its got no proper end. What happened next, did the Surf die? Did a knight on a white charger appear and point to something obvious? Maybe its still in a coma. Does anyone know the eventual outcome ??

Im devastated

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

The End!!!

Originally posted by Bogus
        I read through this whole thread last night like it was a novel. I couldnt wait to get to the end to see if it was happy or not. Its got no proper end. What happened next, did the Surf die? Did a knight on a white charger appear and point to something obvious? Maybe its still in a coma. Does anyone know the eventual outcome ??

Im devastated

Bogus
        Thanks for your interest Bogus & Skipper.
        I no longer have the Surf!!! I'm never one for quitting, but it had me beat!
        I can only give a guess to what really happened, but if it helps anyone, here goes: There was absolutely nothing wrong with the timing, T belt, Pump, ECU or electrics; I think the re-built engine sufferd a very short seizure, she then (and ever afterwards) started first time, but developed a small knock/rattle which was very hard to hear unless you were as familiar as I was with the engine, this did'nt affect the running, oil pressure or anything for that matter.
        I bought this vehicle to tow a caravan and as the new engine (spent £5k on!!!) always ran virtually on the half way mark of the Temp gauge even with the elec fan (via a kenlowe switch) on full time, I just could'nt trust her to do the job intended! My guess is something like a con-rod or bearing? was ever so slightly damaged when she seized, probably nothing to worry most people and she'll go for miles, But not me! Personally I would not touch another 2.4 as the cooling system is flawed, the very late 3.0 is the one to have and with the money I spent (+the purchase cost) I could have bought one! I'm very lucky to still be married because of this motor........Live and learn!

Comment

Closure

Not a happy ending , but an ending of sorts, Thanks for putting me out of my misery. I only hope my 2.4 doesnt die a horrible painful death and I hope whatever you run now and in future stays healthy into old age.

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by marky View Post
            MORE INFO
            READING THE TROUBLE CODES

Reading the diagnostic trouble codes is very easy. You will need a paper clip to short the check connectors of the diagnostic connector. The diagnostic connector comes in two types. The early system is located on the inner-left fender well and is a round, green connector, usually located near the air cleaner. Simply jump the two terminals in this connector with the ignition switch in the "ON" position and the engine off. Later models, '87 and newer use a multiple terminal "DIAGNOSTIC" connector which is a small, rectangular-shaped grey "box", usually located near the right fender in the enigne compartment. To get codes out of this type of connector, jump the "TE1" and "E1" teminals. Finding these terminals is easy as the inside cover of the diagnostic connector contains a schematic of the connector pinouts. If the underhood emission decal (VECI) is still intact on your vehicle, the proper pins for this are outlined there as well.
            Firstly, I have no pin in the TE1 position
            Secondly, I presume the TE1 pin is the test pin and the E1 pin is the negative.????

The only pins that have metal connectors in the diagnostic plug are
            +B on bottom left
            E1 left side middle pin of three
            AB right side top left
            Tc to the right one and down one from AB
            Ts down two from AB
            WA and WB on the right hand bottom side Jumpered.

What to do??

Comment

Working...
            X