X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad cap

Opinions please. Anybody ever had a rad cap top seal cause problems,
    allowing some minor coolant loss through the cap itself, even though the
    seal appears intact? Still got a minor leak from somewhere. No discolouration
    on the brass senders, so ruling those out. Sealed top hose with hermatite red
    at both ends the other week, and the brass section in the top hose is 38mm,
    so the hose is a snug fit on that. Also nipped up all the jubilee's. Still slight
    dampness on thermostat housing, and splatter on that side of the engine,
    however. So, what are the chances of it being knacked rad cap under certain
    conditions?

Originally posted by MattF
    Opinions please. Anybody ever had a rad cap top seal cause problems,
    Quite often, and with new caps! They can leak around the main seal so it looses water when its filling the expansion tank, or the small seal so the expansion tank fills up all the time.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Quite often, and with new caps! They can leak around the main seal so it looses water when its filling the expansion tank, or the small seal so the expansion tank fills up all the time.

Cheers Tony. I've triple checked, tightened and sealed everything else,
      all new hoses as well, so I'll try the cap. It's a devil trying to find the leak
      when you can see splatter, but it'll never leak unless it's under some certain
      type of running condition. I used genuine Toyota cap last time. Are they
      still the best one to use, or is there a more sturdy aftermarket brand?

Comment

Cheers Tony. I've triple checked, tightened and sealed everything else,
        all new hoses as well, so I'll try the cap. It's a devil trying to find the leak
        when you can see splatter, but it'll never leak unless it's under some certain
        type of running condition. I used genuine Toyota cap last time. Are they
        still the best one to use, or is there a more sturdy aftermarket brand?

My week old rad cap was allowing coolant past so I made a thicker gasket/sealing ring from some rubber sheet I had lying around. No worries since.

Want me to make and mail you one Matt?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          My week old rad cap was allowing coolant past so I made a thicker gasket/sealing ring from some rubber sheet I had lying around. No worries since.

Want me to make and mail you one Matt?
          I'll take you up on that offer, Vince. Any chance you might be able to do
          a top and bottom seal? If it is the rad cap at fault, mine is probably the top
          seal causing the main problem, rather than the bottom one, which I think is
          the one you had trouble with? I know I was looking for some rubber sheet a
          while since for doing something, and I have nowt like that here. Let me
          know what you want for 'em. Cheers.

Comment

I'll take you up on that offer, Vince. Any chance you might be able to do
            a top and bottom seal? If it is the rad cap at fault, mine is probably the top
            seal causing the main problem, rather than the bottom one, which I think is
            the one you had trouble with? I know I was looking for some rubber sheet a
            while since for doing something, and I have nowt like that here. Let me
            know what you want for 'em. Cheers.

It's the rubber gasket that seals against the neck of the thermostat housing that I replaced, the one directly under the cap.
            All I need is your address mate!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              It's the rubber gasket that seals against the neck of the thermostat housing that I replaced, the one directly under the cap.
              All I need is your address mate!
              Cheers Vince. I'll drop you a P.M.

Comment

It's a good job I have a mix of persistence and patience. Found where
                that specific leak was coming from, (the top hose to thermostat housing
                joint again), so nipped that clip up, again. Since then, water going into
                expansion tank okay, bugger all being drawn back in when it cools down.
                Tried another rad cap that I picked up from a local factors, no change.
                Rechecked all hoses again today, looks like the turbo dog leg hose is the
                culprit this time. Nipped that up earlier, so have to check tomorrow to see
                if it's sucking coolant back in instead of air now. Which does lead to one
                other minor question. Is there a maximum amount you should tighten up a
                hose when using Jubilee clips? Or is it okay to keep nipping up until the leak
                stops, even if the clip is bedding well down into the hose wall?

Comment

You can overtighten the clip and damage the hose, more likely the fitting is rough and corroded, so it hard to seal.

It shouldn't be that hard to seal with a good hose and right size clip.

Sometimes the inner part of the hose can degrade, and fluid leaks along the reinforcing strands and out the end, then you have trouble getting the clip to seal it.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You can overtighten the clip and damage the hose, more likely the fitting is rough and corroded, so it hard to seal.

It shouldn't be that hard to seal with a good hose and right size clip.
                    The main culprits seem to be the turbo coolant pipes and the top hose. I
                    cleaned all the crud and scale/rust off the pipes when I renewed all the
                    hoses, so I may have acually shot myself in the foot there. Generally
                    I tighten the clips up until the metal is roughly flush with the hose surface,
                    but some have needed nipping up far tighter than that.

Sometimes the inner part of the hose can degrade, and fluid leaks along the reinforcing strands and out the end, then you have trouble getting the clip to seal it.
                    Hopefully I should be okay on that point. Apart from the lower rad hose and
                    matrix hoses, all the other hoses were replaced with new hose a few months
                    ago.

Comment

I don't know if you guys have this stuff over there but it's great if you can get it. Down here it's called Loctite (Once permatex) Aviation Form-A-Gasket. It's a thick dark brown liguid and excellent for radiator hoses and fittings. Brush a thin coating on fitting and inside hose and then assemble. I've used it for many years. It also helps stop corrosion on pipes and fittings.

Nev

Comment

Cheers for that Nev. Not managed to find a supplier yet, but with it
                        being Loctite, it should be available over here somewhere. If my luck
                        with these hoses carries on like it is, I'll probably be whipping them
                        all back off and sealing and refitting them.

Comment

Would anybody happen to know where you can get that stuff, or something
                          like, over here? I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Things still not going to
                          plan, so I might as well start from scratch again.

Been nipping up again today, , and this time it's decided to pop a leak
                          on that inline switch housing in the top hose that I made. Soooo,
                          what would be the general thoughts, (bad idea or not), of putting the old top
                          hose back on, making the auxilliary rad fan completely manual switched, and
                          nicking it's temp switch spot on the thermo' housing for the main rad fan
                          switch? Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                          X