Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4TD Oil leak

Hi all,

First post hurrah! I've just bought myself a '90 2.4TD with a few problems! First of which appear to be a pretty serious oil leak. It's coming from behind the oil filter housing. So i have a few questions if i may.

1.) The leak appears to be coming from between the block and the housing itself. Is it possible its a busted gasket?

2.) Is it possible to remove the filter housing with the engine in situ?

Thanks Guys!

Welcome to the SURF RESIDENCE. Oil filter may not have been fitted properly so check its been tightened up 1st.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      Welcome to the SURF RESIDENCE. Oil filter may not have been fitted properly so check its been tightened up 1st.
      There's a small 'trap door' panel in the off side wheel arch - 4 bolts to take it off.

Then getting the filter out is easy.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/oilrenew.htm

If you're lucky its just a damaged oil filter gasket.
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies, I've done the trap door thingy, the filter is tight, the leak is coming from between the block and the housing for definate though

Comment

Originally posted by nutter
          Hi guys,

thanks for the replies, I've done the trap door thingy, the filter is tight, the leak is coming from between the block and the housing for definate though

That would be the oil cooler gasket is leaking then. Toyota dealer part I'm affraid.

Comment

I figured as much. Can it be done without the engine being removed?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nutter
              I figured as much. Can it be done without the engine being removed?

Thanks
              Yes, just a bit fiddley.

Comment

Theres a surprise (sorry.. owning an MR2 has made me a bitter home mechanic). Anyone got a part number for this gasket?

Thanks Bushwhacker!

Comment

Just go it to Toyota with your chassis and model number (the two long ones on the data plate) and they'll have no excuse not to be able to get it for you.

Change the two gaskets on the oil cooler behind the cover while you've got it off, they crack now and again getting you milkshake for coolant and oil.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cool thanks, What type are these gaskets? metal or rubber? It's just i think i may have to tear the engine down shortly as i have a rattle that sounds worringly like big ends, i was thinking i could bodge the gasket with some instant stuff for now until i drop the lump out for a full rebuild? Any thoughts guys?

Comment

Working...
                    X