No announcement yet.

wont turn over after head change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water expands even when only warm. make sure yuo've got no airlocks and it should be ok.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

to update, iv now sorted the oil leak problem and have been trying to get the water problem sorted without any luck so far. Iv had the car idling for long enough for the temp to reach mid way on the guage with heaters on full hot they dont appear to get any warmer.

Rad cap is off whilst engine ticking over, i know it got hot as the house of the filler neck was hot. The radiator remained stone cold until all of a sudden it 'boiled' after one of the coolant hoses was squeezed (turbo coolant side coolant hose) Then the radiator got extremely hot and the water level droped and also the water that came up was extremely rusty and old looking! IV fitted a brand new rad and its not the colour of the coolant i put in so im guessing its come from the block!

Strange thing is after it boiled over and i put more water in the radiator started going cold again, still no heat at all from the heaters - front or rear.

After a good 20 mins of this i decided to knock the engine off as it did seem very hot, dont want to cause any damage.

Can anyone tell me if air is the cause of this? Alot of bubble have come up already, i dont really want to do the 'burping' thing. Should i run with the rad cap on?

Need some ideas/advice from you guys,

thanks.

Comment

Pull the hose off the heater valve, fill it from here with a watering can till it comes out the filler, put the cap on and keep filling till it comes back out the heater valve (turn the heater on hot!) Plug the hose back on and thats as full as you'll get it at first.

Now let it run till the left hand side of the rad (when standing in front of the car) is warm, this is when the stat opens. Let it cool down again and you should be able to top it up a little. If you do this with the cap off, it'll puke a little water out as it expands warming up, and when the stat opens you'll see the water level in the filler neck drop and you can top it up while its running.

The heater should blow hot long before this, if its not stop and recheck everything, let it cool down, and fill again from the heater valve on the bulkhead.

Doing it with the idle up on will help it warm up quicker, or even rev it a little in drive with the brakes on (but just gently, and not for long), it'll take ages to warm the coolant enough to open the stat in this weather and the bonnet open otherwise.

You can pull the hose off the heater valve slightly to check its pumping water, but be carefull if the waters hot.

You will always get a little more next day when its completely cold, but then it should stay level.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony will give this a shot tonight

Comment

Working...
          X