wont turn over after head change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont turn over after head change

Just finished the head change on my 2.4 1993 surf, filled coolant and replace oil, levels are all spot on.

The batteries were low, so low that the dash lights were even dim, iv got a charged jump pack and connected it to one of the batteries, when waiting for glow plugs everything is fine, dash lights are on as normal and then the glow plugs are ready to start. On key theres a slight kick when the fan can be seen to turn ever so slightly and thats it. It doesnt even try to turn over! I could see smoke/sparks from the earth connector from the jump pack on the battery when hold key to start after the kick to try and spin the started motor but nothing happens. Hope this doesnt mean something is fried!?

It was all running fine before so i dont think its the starter motor, has anyone else experience this or can anyone advise me on whats wrong?

All hoses and wiring have been connected up as should be as far as i can see.

Appreciate any advise from you guys!

Hopefully, it'll just be the battery pack isn't man enoughto supply the current needed to turn the engine over.

Or the timing is well out, and a piston is jammed up against a valve..
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_maj
      Just finished the head change on my 2.4 1993 surf, filled coolant and replace oil, levels are all spot on.

The batteries were low, so low that the dash lights were even dim, iv got a charged jump pack and connected it to one of the batteries, when waiting for glow plugs everything is fine, dash lights are on as normal and then the glow plugs are ready to start. On key theres a slight kick when the fan can be seen to turn ever so slightly and thats it. It doesnt even try to turn over! I could see smoke/sparks from the earth connector from the jump pack on the battery when hold key to start after the kick to try and spin the started motor but nothing happens. Hope this doesnt mean something is fried!?

It was all running fine before so i dont think its the starter motor, has anyone else experience this or can anyone advise me on whats wrong?

All hoses and wiring have been connected up as should be as far as i can see.

Appreciate any advise from you guys!

You'll probably find that the 'jump pack' won't have enough amps to start the engine, the sparks were because of a bad connection. you need to charge the batteries or get a jump start from another vehicle.

Comment

timing is ok, engine turned over perfect by hand and gave good compression, it was turned over a few times and all marks lined up after each revolution.

Do you think i should disconnect these batteries when trying to start?

Iv tried charging the batteries but when the 12v charger is connected it seems to pop the fuse so cant charge the batteries, might be due to higher current rating with there being two batteries?

Anyway thanks for the comments and advise guys! will try something tommorow!

Comment

Hi, it sounds to me that your battery is flat and I doubt the power pack has sufficent umph to turn it over. The diesel engine take a lot of amps. Check the state of your battery, it may only need charging.

Comment

Definately the battery pack, then.
            As soon as you connect the jump battery, it's automatically trying to even out the power in it and the other two batteries. So it'll run out VERY quickly. Charge each battery separately, and try again.

Or charge one battery, disconnect the negative of the other battery, and start it on just the one.
            It just does, OK?

Comment

Try charging the batterys one at a time and make sure you disconnect them.

Comment

timing is ok, engine turned over perfect by hand and gave good compression, it was turned over a few times and all marks lined up after each revolution.

Do you think i should disconnect these batteries when trying to start?

Iv tried charging the batteries but when the 12v charger is connected it seems to pop the fuse so cant charge the batteries, might be due to higher current rating with there being two batteries?

Anyway thanks for the comments and advise guys! will try something tommorow!

Disconnect the batteries when charging them, as you might damage the ECU.
                A jump start from another car will be enough to start your truck as long as the engine is running .

Comment

Try disconnecting one battery and charging the second one on its own that way your charger should not blow its fuse.
                  It will probably take at least an overnight charge to provide enough current to turn it over.
                  Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Disconnect the batteries when charging them, as you might damage the ECU.
                    A jump start from another car will be enough to start your truck as long as the engine is running .
                    OK Vince, you got in first this time
                    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

excellent advise guys il give this a shot tommorow!

Cant believe had such a big response so late in the evening as well!

Comment

Also don't make my mistake and forget to connect the positive lead that goes between the 2 batteries then spend an hour wondering why you can't get the damn thing to start on only 1 battery!

DOH!
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Thanks for the advise!

Im going to try this out after work tonight, my brother has tried to check the voltage on the batteries and seems to beleive they are 6volts each!

Are they 6volt or 12volt batteries on the LN130s? surely must be 12Volt?!

Comment

Thanks for the advise!

Im going to try this out after work tonight, my brother has tried to check the voltage on the batteries and seems to beleive they are 6volts each!

Are they 6volt or 12volt batteries on the LN130s? surely must be 12Volt?!
                            Yeah, 12 volt in parallel, not 6 volt in series. That would be weird.

Comment

Hi again guys, you were all correct the batteries were dead and iv got it to start now by charging it!

Now for another issue when letting it idle and checking everything i notice a small oil leak on the turbo, which im going to repair and tighten up so that shouldnt be a problem.

BUT what concerns me the most is that when i turned the engine off, it wasnt really hot just warm, i opened the radiator cap and alot of water flew out, pressurized. Similar to before the head change! Is this normal before it gets really hot?? Iv replaced the theromstat also so its not that.

Does this mean something serious is wrong with the block? i dont want to start the car too long and risk cracking the new head! Certainly havent driven it, only started and let it idle a little while.

Look forward to any advise about this about whether its normal or iv messed something up!

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X