Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slip

Hi guys,

Been towing a lot lately and as a result the clutch seems to be slipping on the surf now.

You really only notice at about 3k rpm in 4th, then it seems to be ok.
    It still seems to pull fine going up hills. But you notice it mainly on motorways and stuff, pulling on from the sliproad by the time you reach the motorway it slipping.
    Is this an expensive fix, and can clutchs be adjusted or is terminal if it starts slipping?
    Thanks
    Keep it greasey so it'll go down easy...

The clutch release is hydraulic so there is no adjustment possible unfortunatley.

Comment

There is adjustment but only for clutch pedal travel. If this is ok then time for a new clutch.

Nev

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like a new clutch then..

Comment

Cost

Any ideas guys on how much a clutch replacement should cost. I have looked at milners and they say they have the clutch set for 63 beans.
          Any ideas on labour costs?

Comment

If you still have the Dual Mass Flywheel then expect to replace that as well.

Nev

Comment

Thanks for that Nev, but how can I tell if I have one?

Comment

If it's the original it will be dual mass and look like this.

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev

Comment

Cluch problem

I have a problem at the moment with my LN130 surf. I had a slipping clutch and purchased a replcement. The guy fitted it and basically when the turbo kicked in it started slipping.
                    I got a replacement cluch as my mechanic thinks this clutch is faulty and he notice the face of the friction plate on both the first new one and the replacement new one is not smooth. Is this normal as the faces are normally super smooth on other cars. When we looked at where the clutch had been grabbing the plate there appeared to be increased where on three small places only as thought it was only gripping three small parts of the plate and hence the letting go when power delivered.

Anybody any comments please?
                    If it works ok then you need to modify it.

Comment

The flywheel face shouldn't be super smooth, it needs a 'machined' surface to get a grip.

Flywheels that have had a lots of slipping going on tend to get polished or overheated. If its got to hot it could have warped leaving you with high spots.

You need to check the dual mass flywheel isn't knackered as well, if there is any loosness in the two halves bin it and buy a solid 4Runner/pickup flywheel.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The supplier of the cluch sent a second new clutch and it has the same problem. When the boost kicks in or you put your foot down the clutch slips.

The clutch pedal is far to easy, I can push it down with my little finger as I could with the other new clutch. When you put the two new clutches with new to the old cluch it is like comparing a 1litre clutch to a 2.0 litre cluch. It is no where near as heavy duty looking.

I have now told the mechanic to order a blueprint clutch for over three times as much to see if the problem is still there.

The mechanic has had a 4 foot cracker bar on either end of the engine (one on the flywheel and one on the front pulley and there is no movement in the dual mass flywheel.

Just really miffed off as this is costing me money to have each clutch installed.

Just really wierd that when you run your nail across eith of the new clutches it is rough to the touch. When the first new clutch was removed and examined there was three high spots where the clutch had worn a mark on it and the vehicle was only driven up the raod and back.

I drove the car tonight with the second new clutch fitted and the peddle is aweful and it slipped as soon as i put my foot down or the boost kicked in.....

Any suggestions or comments on my approach to the problem?
                        If it works ok then you need to modify it.

Comment

Going back to basics, have the clutches consisted of all three parts (i.e. Pressure Plate, Friction Plate & Thrust Bearing) or just the friction plate?

Might sound like a silly question but are you sure the friction plate has been put in the right way round? I can't think of any other reason your getting wear at three points, apart from something being bent or warped (check flywheel for true).

I recently fitted a new solid (4Runner) flywheel and complete clutch kit, purchased direct from Toyota, and have had no problems.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
                            Going back to basics, have the clutches consisted of all three parts (i.e. Pressure Plate, Friction Plate & Thrust Bearing) or just the friction plate?

Might sound like a silly question but are you sure the friction plate has been put in the right way round? I can't think of any other reason your getting wear at three points, apart from something being bent or warped (check flywheel for true).
                            I tend to agree. A new clutch will not slip if everything is done correctly. Your mechanic has done something wrong somewhere or is missing something. Check what was replaced and let us know. Was clutch pedal free travel checked?

Nev

Comment

Money, money, money...

I am due to pick my surf up today after the garage fitted a new clutch. They got the clutch kit from milners, but I am little concerned about what its gonna cost me as they have had it a week and keep saying how big a job it is but won't give me any idea of what its gonna cost.
                              Can anyone give me a clue as to what a reasonable price should be?
                              Cheers guys
                              Last edited by Pika1971; 26 September 2006, 11:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X