Gear box disaster!! Help needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panrixx
    If you look closely at the photos you will see that my 3.0 litre has a differrently designed DMF to the 2.4 Litre models.

4Runner Soild flywheel conversion and new 'sprung' clutch fitted, by myself , and all is well
    Yeah, and it still didn't work!!!

Solid flywheel arriving tomorrow.

Someone has already done the clutch in this one, I guess they though it would fix the problem, as its a normal clutch plate with springs in it, although its not that worn its no good now as it has lots of bit of metal imbedded in it!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Yeah, and it still didn't work!!!

Solid flywheel arriving tomorrow.

I knew all was not right when I removed the box and found the whole of the inside of the bellhousing covered in the oil and grease that should have been inside the DMF!!

DMF had obviosly been running dry for some time and apart from the broken and scoured parts there was a load of fine metal powder coating everything.

The only reason I realised something was wrong was because I could just hear a secondary 'diesel knock' type noise alongside the normal diesel knock sound. Crawled underneath and put my ear close to the bellhousing and identified the knock was coming from inside it. Having read a little on the forum about DMFs failing I was sure this was the cause. The motor was still running fine at the time.
      Last edited by Panrixx; 4 September 2006, 14:23.
      Brian

Comment

This one wasn't that noisy, Jon's description of 'rust in a tin can' was pretty good, every so often the flywheel must have picked up all the loose bits of spring that fell out the flywheel and flung them round the bellhousing making the noise.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah the clutch went a while back while pootling along the M25. I depressed the clutch pedal and it never came back out again. Think it may have been a selector arm or something, but all the same I think a new clutch kit went in.

ON A SIDE NOTE.

TONY IF YOU DIDN'T GET MY TEXT AND ARE READING THIS NOW. DON'T LOCK MY KEYS INSIDE THE TRUCK AS I CANT FIND THE SPARES!!

Comment

thankyou bushwacker
            took surf to a garage found a good one and he has worked on surfs for a few years he ghange all the belts in the engine done the clutch and gearbox and a full service on her i call her the beast she is running great now waiting for a part for the 4 wheel drive now its engaging but not working so no off roading for the time being thankyou for your help if anyone needs a garage in the wiltsire area email me and i will give you his name its small but the guy knows his stuff and does not charge the earth all the work only cost £600

Comment

Working...
            X