Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear box disaster!! Help needed!!

Hey all,

New to the forum so am probably doing a re-post so apologies.

My K-Reg LN130 is making the most horrendous noises, all eminating from the gear box. One noise can only be described as a empty paint tin with rust flakes inside it being shaken around, and the other is a violent period of rattling.

Got so bad I took it to my main Toyota dealership for them to asses and this is what they reckon.

They want to do a gear box strip and replace the bearings, want to put in a new clutch kit including a new clutch plate, and also want to put in a new rear main oil seal, plus they want to stick in a new cam belt just to really do me in.

All in all its well over £1500 pounds. The parts them selves aren't too bad I think and I can pick up most of it from Rough Tracks, but it't the labour that is killing me. Something like £90+ per hour.

Does anyone know anybody, anything, any heavenly entity, round the Oxfordshire area that can do this kind of work for a lot less??

Am desperate and want my truck back from Toyota.......

Manual gearbox?

Comment

Try TonyN at Basingstoke,

Contact him here

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Yeah manual gear box...

think the prob with the main dealership is the fact that no matter what, they'll ensure that it's at least a 6 hour gear box drop job...

Oh and one other thing, is changing the rear window regulator a fairly simple job? I've had the back off and a little poke around and am pretty sure that it's just the regulator that needs fixing....

Comment

Sounds like you just need a new clutch, two hours max to fit.
          What are the symptoms of the rear window?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonboy22

Oh and one other thing, is changing the rear window regulator a fairly simple job? I've had the back off and a little poke around and am pretty sure that it's just the regulator that needs fixing....
            Fiddley and timecinsuming but doable.

Give Tony a call 07709 839891.
            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Rear window motor works as you can hear it trying, but then the window just stops moving, or at least gets stuck till you force it. Just a massive pain as it means I can't lower the tailgate....

Comment

Rear window motor works as you can hear it trying, but then the window just stops moving, or at least gets stuck till you force it. Just a massive pain as it means I can't lower the tailgate....
                Clean and lubricate the grooves in the window rubber.

Comment

You need a replacement motor as the mechanism wears out in the gearbox. The window regulator hardly ever wears out.

Comment

Hello,

Mine went last year - it's probably not the regulator - it will be the small motor that's bolted onto the regulator.

It is fiddly - take the panel off (door closed sitting inside the truck) and put your right hand inside the r/h/s of the opening. Now, best gynacologist hat on, feel around behind the motor. There will be three small bolts holding it on.

You may need to make up a special wrench - I did. Undo the bolts and it will drop inside the tailgate - pull off the blue plug and you can wriggle it out.

Source one from a breakers - on ebay or roughtrax they are scarily expensive.

Take it out and it can be stripped down - you may be able to fix it - I know someone on the site had success with a repair - best of luck.

EDIT - shove a screwdiver into the regulator to stop it collapsing when you take the motor out - it may trap your pinkie!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 22 August 2006, 12:57.
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

yeh tried cleaning the rubber seals, and no joy.

Don't think it's the motor either as I can get the window open eventually, it just jolts to a stop every so often. My only fear is that I wind it all the way down and then it refuses to come back up.

Someone said to me it could be the teeth on the regulator cogs, does that make sense??

As for the rest of the nightmare Tony said he'll tot up the costs but thinks it could be a fly wheel falling apart problem...

Comment

Some pics of one I repaired......

The first pic shows the regulator, as you can see, nothing much to go wrong.
                        Second pic shows the two parts in the motor that became de-bonded, I glued them back together with industrial 'superglue'
                        Third pic is nylon/rubber lubricant, excellent stuff.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hmm,

might take it all apart and have a look.

If it was the motor though surely it wouldn't go anywhere??

Comment

I suspect the problem with yours is the teeth on the white plastic wheel (sprocket) in the motor (second pic) have worn down and causing intermittant meshing with the worm drive on the motor spindle.

Comment

Hmm,

might take it all apart and have a look.

If it was the motor though surely it wouldn't go anywhere??
                              The middle photo of Vince's shows the iNsides of the motor - it gets filled with rain water and corrodes over the years - then works intermittently.

Then it will stop all together.

And it will be in the down position.

And it will be pouring with rain!
                              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                              X