No announcement yet.

Gear box disaster!! Help needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm rubbish at describing things but will have a look inside the motor tonight.

Just to give a more accurate description. If I turn the key or get someone to hit the switch. The window wil drop down in stages, as in jerky one inch steps, often stopping altogether, but then with a bit of manual persuasion it carries on. Sometimes it'll go all the way down without stopping but not in the smooth manner it used to...

Same goes for getting it back up, it'll jerk up a bit, then stop, but when it stops it's not like it's cutting out, more like its getting stuck and dying a slow death...

Will hack it all apart and get back to you guys, but thanks for you help.

Oh one last question, should I take it all apart with the window up, i.e. climb into the back and remove the panel from inside the car?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Sounds like you just need a new clutch, two hours max to fit.
      Yeah right! what you drinking Vince? Two hours probably gets you in a position to start getting the gearbox bolts out. If fact the last gearbox I had out two hours was getting all the rusty exhaust bolts out!!!!

We've been talking, I think his flywheel has fallen apart, it could be coming to visit soon!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Heh,

I think so too.....

That said don't think the bolts and all that malarky will be too bad under mine. Had the gear box out at Toyota about a year ago, the fiddled with a snapped selector lever or something like that. Clutch pedal just stayed depressed and I was buggerd on the M25....

Anyway hoping that Tony will wave his magic wand over it and make everthing better....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Yeah right! what you drinking Vince? Two hours probably gets you in a position to start getting the gearbox bolts out. If fact the last gearbox I had out two hours was getting all the rusty exhaust bolts out!!!!

Pull yer finger out then!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonboy22
            Tony will wave his magic wand

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Yeah right! what you drinking Vince?
              Must be good stuff. I want some.

Nev

Comment

Same goes for getting it back up, it'll jerk up a bit, then stop, but when it stops it's not like it's cutting out, more like its getting stuck and dying a slow death...

Oh one last question, should I take it all apart with the window up, i.e. climb into the back and remove the panel from inside the car?
                I got inside with the window up, back seats down.

Bonus - after you've fixed the motor your girlfriend/wife/partner/pet sheep will love your new found hand wriggling skills oooooooooooooo eeerrrrrrrrr.....
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

That's nothing, lying down on my back under the beast, I can reach up through the engine bay and close the bonnet.....

My pet camel loves me...

um more seriously though, if I do pull it all apart and make a complete hash brown of it, will the window fall through or will it stay in place??

Comment

Totally improper use of this post I know so appologies, but message for Tony:

Will be motorcycling home from 5-6:30 so wont be able to answer my phone. But please feel free to contact me later on this evening.

Cheers

Jon

Comment

if I do pull it all apart and make a complete hash brown of it, will the window fall through or will it stay in place??
                      Hello,

When you take the panel off you will see that geared mechanism that the motor operates.

As long as you shove a screwdriver or a bolt or such firmly into this mechanism, the window will stay in the up position.

There is a thread somewhere on here with info about this fix.
                      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

gear box change

i got my surf in july 1992 2.4 manul had it two weeks towed a caravan and the gear box went when on hols was towed back to dealer where i got it gear box now fixed but still having a few problems getting gears in now and again now have a light come on saying t-belt what is this gear box only cost £120.00 to fix so its best to look around for a small garage to do the work i love driving the surf but if it keeps breaking down i will not like it great for towing i am getting about 26 miles to the gallon

Comment

Originally posted by carol
                          i got my surf in july 1992 2.4 manul had it two weeks towed a caravan and the gear box went when on hols was towed back to dealer where i got it gear box now fixed but still having a few problems getting gears in now and again now have a light come on saying t-belt what is this gear box only cost £120.00 to fix so its best to look around for a small garage to do the work i love driving the surf but if it keeps breaking down i will not like it great for towing i am getting about 26 miles to the gallon

Hi Carol, welcome on board. The T-belt light coming on means the timing belt is due to be re-newed, it comes on after 100,000kms. If you know that yours has been changed already, and you have proof, you can re-set the light by removing the small rubber bung in front of the speedo and using a long match or toothpick, insert into the hole all the way through and you'll feel a button, just push this once.
                          If you're having difficulty getting into gear, check the gearbox oil level, or there maybe some air in the clutch fluid.

Comment

If anyone's still interested, this is what fell out of the jonboys bellhousing.....

And this is one properly screwed dual mass flywheel.....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

oooooh looks painful
                              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Ditto on my 1995 Manual (see thread and pics).
                                http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25057

If you look closely at the photos you will see that my 3.0 litre has a differrently designed DMF to the 2.4 Litre models.

4Runner Soild flywheel conversion and new 'sprung' clutch fitted, by myself , and all is well
                                Last edited by Panrixx; 4 September 2006, 14:07.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X