idle up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle up

Daft question, whats the "Idle up" "on" button for on my 1993 surf.

It increases the engine revs when using accessories like winches and jump starting other vehicles, and helps warm up on very cold mornings. It only works when the gearbox is in P or N

Comment

Originally posted by iwoo
      Daft question, whats the "Idle up" "on" button for on my 1993 surf.
      Hi mate, i would suggest using the search button above as this as been covered many times before.
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Copied from the owners manual: While the engine is idling (especially when the engine is cold), pressing this button will raise the idling speed of the engine hence having a greater effect on the heating unit of the vehicle. While driving this switch should be turned OFF. If this switch is left ON & the vehicle is driven it will become less economical & the brakes will have to be pressed harder when braking. I think the only time I would use this switch would be on a winters morning or if you had a Power take-off unit(PTO) fitted & you had to keep the rev's up.

Comment

CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Cheers lads, thanks very much

Comment

This only applies to up to 91 non-EFI trucks where the knob literally screws down the throttle pedal. most EFI trucks from 91 on have a electronic Idle Up that only works when in P or N, so it has no effect when driving.

Originally posted by lclascaris
              Copied from the owners manual: While the engine is idling (especially when the engine is cold), pressing this button will raise the idling speed of the engine hence having a greater effect on the heating unit of the vehicle. While driving this switch should be turned OFF. If this switch is left ON & the vehicle is driven it will become less economical & the brakes will have to be pressed harder when braking. I think the only time I would use this switch would be on a winters morning or if you had a Power take-off unit(PTO) fitted & you had to keep the rev's up.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                This only applies to up to 91 non-EFI trucks where the knob literally screws down the throttle pedal. most EFI trucks from 91 on have a electronic Idle Up that only works when in P or N, so it has no effect when driving.

Tony, I got that from the 3rd Generation Surf Manual????

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris
                  Tony, I got that from the 3rd Generation Surf Manual????
                  Bet it wasn't the factory manual!

If you have one of the books that are floating around ebay and the importers, its kind of a collection of info someone has got from different places and made a book.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Bet it wasn't the factory manual!

If you have one of the books that are floating around ebay and the importers, its kind of a collection of info someone has got from different places and made a book.
                    I got it from Rough Traxs, & yes I agree with you in that it doesn't look like a quality factory manual. I just thought they were re-prints

I won't believe everything I read in it next time!!! Cheers Tony

Comment

My truck is an EFI model but it has the screw-down idle-up control.

Only tried it once but it acts a bit like cruise control when moving.

Comment

I hope it de-activates when you press the brake pedal then!

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
                          My truck is an EFI model but it has the screw-down idle-up control.

Only tried it once but it acts a bit like cruise control when moving.
                          I have done this when is slow but steadily moving traffic.
                          Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          I hope it de-activates when you press the brake pedal then!
                          No. The manual screw type ones do not disengage when the brake is pressed.
                          That is why I have sorted out an electrical/vacum set-up direct to the pump.
                          Simon.O.
                          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.
                            I have done this when is slow but steadily moving traffic.

No. The manual screw type ones do not disengage when the brake is pressed.
                            Blimey!! bit dangerous innit?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              Blimey!! bit dangerous innit?
                              Not if you are looking out the front window
                              I never see the need to accelerate-brake-accelerate-brake.....when the traffic is crawling. I like to crawl along at in 1st or 2nd and use the electric idle up to hold the revs up at about 1200rpm. If I have to stop I can switch off the i-up and/or use the clutch+brake.
                              Remember that it is an Idle-up and not a hand-throttle...................yet
                              Simon.O.
                              '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                              X