Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Housing Gasket?

Hi, I have 2.4 Jreg Surf.
    I have an oil leak from the 'oil filter housing'. Mechanic tried to get a gasket for it, no joy, so in the meantime used a seal stop, which seemed to help. Coincidently, when the leak stopped, I had oil dumped in my expansion bottle and radiator. Called mechanic, and I asked if there was any way that the leak could have found a new release into the water system internally. He said he didn't think so, and he thought the oil in rad was residue from matrix after the last time the head went on me. I had replacement head and new radiator fitted 3mths ago. He thought it was residue as there was no sign of oil level dropping. On friday we did a speed flush, on saturday I went to a dog show, which was a three hour journey there. All levels had been fine before leavin in morning. Before coming home, checked water and found a load of oil back in expansion bottle and rad. Checked oil level and was dry. Luckily had oil with me, topped up and took a litre to bring level to normal. Drove home carefully, but Surf drove well. Checked oil when got home and oil level was normal. Why use up a litre to get there but nothing coming home?
    Called mechanic last night, said not a problem with the head, it's to do with the housing. He had spoken to an engineer who said yes it was possible for the oil to leak internally into the water system. So he's now going to strip the housing down, but we need a new gasket....any ideas where we can get hold of one?
    Any thoughts/advice/help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Debbie

The only place I think you'll get one is from a Toyota dealer, as it's not a gasket that needs replacing unless an engine has to be completely stipped down..

Comment

Oil cooler housing will look similar to this one.

Coolant flows through an internal section to cool the engine oil. This can corrode and allow oil into coolant/coolant into oil.

Make sure the mechanic removes the oil filter spigot because I'm sure there is a mounting bolt for the housing under it.

This will be expensive to replace unless you get lucky and pick up a second hand one. They are as rare as hens teeth down here.

The housing and internals corrode because of poor cooling system maintenance.

Nev
      Last edited by NiftyNev; 18 July 2006, 13:28.

Comment

Forgot to say you may need other gaskets/seals for inside the housing. Not sure exactly what is inside as have not dismanled one. All Toyota genuine for these I would say.

Nev

Comment

Cheers for the replies!
          just noticed I put J reg and it's K reg
          Debbie

Comment

I got a question. What's this J reg/K reg bit mean?

Nev

Comment

Year of vehicle manufacture. (Our system.) The latest cars have 06 on the license plates.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                I got a question. What's this J reg/K reg bit mean?

Nev
                it s the registration plate on our vehicles, relates to year of manufacture. Below is a list of years, new regs came out in March or August, so you could have a late plate H reg which would make it a 1991

G 1989
                H 1990
                J 1991
                K 1992
                L 1993
                M 1994
                N 1995
                P 1996
                R 1997
                S 1998
                T 1999
                V 1999
                W 2000
                Y 2001
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Thank you. That makes sense now.

Nev

Comment

I had a severe water leak recently which was traced to the oil filter housing gasket - the water was pi^^ing out of the leaking gasket faster than I could pour it in via the thermostat cap, with the engine on or off. The mechanic who stripped it said that the housing gasket was gubbed. When he stripped it he was surprised to find that there were several gaskets inside the housing and it was actually an oil cooler. Don't know if its possible if a gasket inside the cooler is damaged that is causing your coolant contamination.
                    Incidently, the old damaged gasket was a paper gasket. The new gasket supplied by Toyota was a metaflex type gasket so it looks as if the cooler housing gasket has been upgraded at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by martsco
                      I had a severe water leak recently which was traced to the oil filter housing gasket - the water was pi^^ing out of the leaking gasket faster than I could pour it in via the thermostat cap, with the engine on or off. The mechanic who stripped it said that the housing gasket was gubbed. When he stripped it he was surprised to find that there were several gaskets inside the housing and it was actually an oil cooler. Don't know if its possible if a gasket inside the cooler is damaged that is causing your coolant contamination.
                      Incidently, the old damaged gasket was a paper gasket. The new gasket supplied by Toyota was a metaflex type gasket so it looks as if the cooler housing gasket has been upgraded at some point.
                      Hi, yeah, I'm hoping it's down to a damaged gasket rather than corrosion as mentioned earlier. The oil leak starts when the Surf has been used and is hot, then stops again when engine cools. The oil is in the coolant, but not any sign of water in the oil. Mechanic said there should be a couple of gaskets, but wont know what were dealing with till he strips it down. Will get onto Toyota for a new gasket.
                      Cheers!
                      Debbie

Comment

I had the same problem with oil getting into the cooling system only solved it when my mechanic found 2 of the bolts on the filter housing missing!!!!!
                        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Hi! mechanic has been this morning, stripped down the housing, but we cannot see an obvious problem causing the leak. No corrosion of the housing or oil cooler. Is there anyway we can pressure test the oil cooler for leaks, before I invest in another one. Don't want to buy one if not needed, but don't want to just put on new gaskets to find there was a problem with the actual cooler, then having to strip it all down again.
                          Cheers!
                          Debbie

Comment

Hmmm. All I can suggest is check the internal section. Once seperated from the alloy housing you may be able to pressure test this with a suitable adapter or two. Replace all gaskets/seals between the two sections. I have no idea what's in there. Check the alloy housing mounting face for flatness before reinstalling. Also check the relief valves on the housing. These can develop oil leaks sometimes. These will only leak oil externally though.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                            X