All those bits have got to go !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All those bits have got to go !!

I have done heaps of reading here over the last few days and have decided that the EGR and all that other cr@p attached to it is just wasting space in the engine bay.
    The EGR is solid plate blanked off.
    The throttle butterfly has been killed
    My green light does not go......who cares as the boost gauge tells me the little steel snail is working.
    As its a Mechanical pump I see no valid reason for having all that $hit sitting there doing nothing.
    Has anyone done this.
    Any reasons why it cant be done.
    Mechanical and practical reasons not legal or environmental ones
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Right !! its all gone !!
    I played about with the vac and pressure hoses and established that the only hoses needed on that side of the motor are:
    One that comes out of the manifold just above the egr inlet through a little black and white thinghy ( a filter ?? ) ---into a tee, 1 line goes to the boost sensor beside the airfilter and the other goes to the fuel pump to what I assume is the boost compensator.
    The other line I have is from the solenoid on the inner guard below the brake booster that is for the a/c idle up. Now I have no a/c system left, that is all torn out, so I used it to give me electric idle up via the hard/soft suspension switch and a ign powered relay. This hose comes over the engine straight to the idle-up actuator on the low side of the pump.
    All the hoses to and from the egr, throttle butterfly actuator and blue, red, white switches were pulled and I took it for a drive. All was good my green light even goes.
    Next I pulled the plugs off the switches and still it drives well.
    Gone, see ya, saiyanaro !! All that cr@p has been pulled out and now all I have to do it to physically remove the egr assembly and blank the pipe that comes round from the exhaust side.
    So in summary I now have.
    1. Electric idle-up
    2. Working green light…..woohoo!!!!
    3. Effective boost compensation meaning waaaaay more power than before.
    4. A dead butterfly
    5. A dormant egr.
    6. Heaps less junk cluttering up the engine bay.

A fun day !!
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.
      Right !! its all gone !!
      I played about with the vac and pressure hoses and established that the only hoses needed on that side of the motor are:
      One that comes out of the manifold just above the egr inlet through a little black and white thinghy ( a filter ?? ) ---into a tee, 1 line goes to the boost sensor beside the airfilter and the other goes to the fuel pump to what I assume is the boost compensator.
      The other line I have is from the solenoid on the inner guard below the brake booster that is for the a/c idle up. Now I have no a/c system left, that is all torn out, so I used it to give me electric idle up via the hard/soft suspension switch and a ign powered relay. This hose comes over the engine straight to the idle-up actuator on the low side of the pump.
      All the hoses to and from the egr, throttle butterfly actuator and blue, red, white switches were pulled and I took it for a drive. All was good my green light even goes.
      Next I pulled the plugs off the switches and still it drives well.
      Gone, see ya, saiyanaro !! All that cr@p has been pulled out and now all I have to do it to physically remove the egr assembly and blank the pipe that comes round from the exhaust side.
      So in summary I now have.
      1. Electric idle-up
      2. Working green light…..woohoo!!!!
      3. Effective boost compensation meaning waaaaay more power than before.
      4. A dead butterfly
      5. A dormant egr.
      6. Heaps less junk cluttering up the engine bay.

A fun day !!
      wot no pictures
      send me a free plane ticket and 6 month visa and i will take the photos for you lol
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Keep us all informed of how much better it performs over the next few months, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested...
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
          wot no pictures
          send me a free plane ticket and 6 month visa and i will take the photos for you lol
          I'll be over there in a month. I'll pop round and get a few. Whereabouts are you Simon? (Out of interest, I'm not actually going to come round your house with a camera).

Comment

Nice one Simon. First thing that popped into my head while reading
            your post was: 'Room for an oil catch can on bulkhead'. Doesn't
            disconnecting the butterfly give the rougher shutdown though? Can
            that bit be left working with the EGR assembly out? Thanks for the
            writeup.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
              I'll be over there in a month. I'll pop round and get a few. Whereabouts are you Simon? (Out of interest, I'm not actually going to come round your house with a camera).
              Should he be getting worried now?

Comment

i'm about to attempt to reinstall all this gubbins on ferrets truck. you cant be posting stuff like this. it sets off the little voices in my head... repeat after me.. i must put it back how it was, i must put it back how it was,i must put it back how it was, i must put it back how it was. i have made a plate up to blank off the egr, though...
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  Should he be getting worried now?
                  Depends on if he sees me up a tree outside his house shouting 'be my friend, be my friend'.

I will be too busy falling over in snow and hurting myself to stalk anyone this holiday I'm afraid.

I like the sound of waaaaaaay more power though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    have made a plate up to blank off the egr, though...

Which brand of beverage did you use for the tin plate?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      Which brand of beverage did you use for the tin plate?
                      i used 4 layers of tin cut from hamlet tins. the warnings about smoking seemed appropriate....
                      Last edited by Chillitt; 13 July 2006, 12:31.
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        I am on the North Shore, The nice bit over the bridge from Auckland.
                        If you are keen to come round send me an e-mail at overys@yahoo.com
                        Simon.O.
                        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.
                          I am on the North Shore, The nice bit over the bridge from Auckland.
                          If you are keen to come round send me an e-mail at overys@yahoo.com
                          That is nice. I was up there in November. There's a couple of decent pubs on the drive (not me officer) back into Auckland too as I recall.

Sadly, I'll be on the South Island this time - Hanmer Springs, Wannaka maybe even Queenstown, taking in the view and, weather permitting, getting the trusty board out and throwing my face into the snow at every opportunity.

Keep us posted on how the 'stuff' removal works out though. I'm no expert on these things, but there seems to be a lot more under that bonnet than on all other cars....

Comment

O.k for those that have missed the main point here it is.
                            There is only 3 things that have this pressure line attached.
                            "One that comes out of the manifold just above the egr inlet through a little black and white thinghy ( a filter ?? ) ---into a tee, 1 line goes to the boost sensor beside the airfilter and the other goes to the fuel pump to what I assume is the boost compensator."
                            You can add a fourth if you route a line to a boost gauge.

ALL the other hoses are gone including the little coloured switches.
                            IMPORTANT NOTE
                            Mine is a 2.4 with the mechanical fuel pump NOT the efi.

The attached photo is not to clear but may help.
                            Attached Files
                            Simon.O.
                            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                            X