No announcement yet.

F**king Surfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are only small bolts! Don't let the Apes near them.

I only do them up with a nut driver (screwdriver with socket on the end) That should be plenty of torque.

Are you sure the rubber gasket is sitting in its slot properly, and not proud in places. and did you notice if the metal spacers where all in there holes?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      They are only small bolts! Don't let the Apes near them.

I only do them up with a nut driver (screwdriver with socket on the end) That should be plenty of torque.

Are you sure the rubber gasket is sitting in its slot properly, and not proud in places. and did you notice if the metal spacers where all in there holes?
      ONE spacer missing but wasnt where its been leaking from and not the one where the bolt snaped.
      Would like to put summat there though but don't know where to get one from
      kev.
      Regards
      Kev.
      2.4 black beast

Comment

Took the rocker cover off AGAIN cleaned the gasket with soapy water (ruined the wife’s bowl she not happy).
        Next job was clean rocker cover down with de-greaser then put silicon all round it and inserted the clean gasket then put extra sealant on gasket mating face as well.
        Then cleaned the engine face of oil and wiped round it with a rag soaked with de-greaser just to make sure it was spotlessly clean.
        Then smeared a small amount of silicon all around engine face as well and put rocker cover back on.
        Put new Allen bolts in and tightened them down with only a nut driver (hand tight) as TonyN and the guys at work have also suggested.
        Will now wait till 6: Oclock in morning when going to work before starting her up and prey it has done the trick this time.
        Should by then of had 15hrs cure time.
        Thanks to everyone for there kind help and patients with me whilst trying to sort this out.
        kev.
        Last edited by falconer; 24 June 2006, 18:30.
        Regards
        Kev.
        2.4 black beast

Comment

lets hope it works mate all the best
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Got to work this morning and popped the hood to look for leaks bit couldn’t see nothing in there hopefully stopped that one but when looking in wheel arch I saw this
            http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69...f/DSC00139.jpg

This was happening before doing rocker cover thats why i checked in case anyone was wondering why i would look under there but can’t figure out where it’s coming from unless it’s the oil filter its only hand tight.
            Anyone ells had this leak and know what it is.
            kev.
            Regards
            Kev.
            2.4 black beast

Comment

By the looks of it, wouldn't worry too much. If it starts puthering,
              then maybe trace it. If you try stopping every minor leak on the
              Surf, you'll end up with practically a new engine.

Comment

Puthering???? is that a Yorkshire phrase??

Comment

Vince,
                  You got any idea m8
                  kev.
                  Regards
                  Kev.
                  2.4 black beast

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Puthering???? is that a Yorkshire phrase??
                    Bugger. Didn't realise that word was so localised. Gushing or
                    flowing freely, to give it a broader scope. Or, to give it a true
                    Barnsley recital:

When it's puthering aat, then tha worries.
                    Last edited by MattF; 25 June 2006, 15:59.

Comment

After looking closely at the picture, it does look a bit like the filter that may be at fault.
                      As its getting ready I have decided to service it myself (YES ME) lol
                      Hopefully this might solve the problem.
                      Last time it had cheap oil in but have been reading some threads and there seems to be a few people harping on about semi and full synthetic oil being the better choice.
                      So I have been giving some thought to using CASTROL GTD magnatec.
                      I understand this is semi synthetic and a very good all-round oil and also used with some people because it lasts longer and doesn’t require regular services
                      (As I sometimes work 7 day weeks) Any thoughts or words of wisdom on this
                      kev.
                      Regards
                      Kev.
                      2.4 black beast

Comment

hi kev i used castrol gtd my self when i serviced my truck ,
                        dont think that you will be able to leave the services for longer,
                        it is better to service regularly
                        when i do my next service will be using a semi synthetic maybe comma's its a lot cheaper
                        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I use Comma semi, £14 for 5 litres, just as good as the expensive stuff.

Comment

Thanks mate
                            I'll take a look at this comma
                            kev.
                            Regards
                            Kev.
                            2.4 black beast

Comment

The Comma semi synth is what I use in mine. Motosave do it at
                              about the best price. I tried the Eurolite 10-40 first, worked fine,
                              but have now switched to the XT2000 15-40. Both seem spot on.
                              I think some of the others use the Eurodiesel 15-40.

Comment

This is the one I use...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41...-15w-40-5L.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X