yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the head is off...cant find any cracks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the head is off...cant find any cracks...

my surf is in the garage getting an uprated head fitted. just went over there and had a look at the old one - was expecting to see cracks between the valves or waterways and valves...but to the naked eye all seems fine. it looks like the head gasket had gone between the cylinder bores

i'm going to get it pressure tested even though i have the uprated one going on - is it possible that someone out there might want to buy an original head from a 70k surf if it passes the pressure test?

also the mechanic spotted the water pump is on its way out, and a hose was split (losing water that way) - got a new one coming today, and the timing was a tooth out ( i've been driving it around like that) causing the valves to hit against one of the pistons which he had to deburr

hoping the timing fix will cure the black smoke and give me a little more performance, and dare i even wish for just a little more fuel economy and perhaps cure that tap tap tap sound...

other than that, the mechanic reckons everything else is fine fingers crossed i'll have it back mid afternoon...have a big festival to go to this weekend...
    problems? i'll take 'em.

Have a real close up look between the valves, in the little dished bit of the head. Sometimes they are hard to see after cleaning it up.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine even had cracks inside, like where those little round things go, well you know what I mean, from the outside you could hardly see anything wrong with it, but inside it was not a happy head.

Comment

Just finished ripping my head off, only done 20k, but thats another story.. on another thread.. No crack on head, but rough build up of hard carbon on 2nd pot, Top of that bore has surface pitting, no sign of scoring on the bore or piston

Ralph
        Must be a bank holiday in Cornwall...Wet & Foggy

Comment

Working...
        X