Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pauleds
    I'm having it looked at later Nev,
    I did the WD40 thing where instructed by Vince and the noise is still there and it does seem to be coming from within the cambelt cover.
    check the bottom pulley
    if you look at the bottom pulley and rev the engine at the same time you will see the pulley move in towards the engine as it revs up from tick over, if it does move then its the bottom pulley, a very common fault but a bit costly, mine went xmas time £110 inc vat from mr toyota,
    john
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Check this next, I done a few of these, if it slips completely you'll loose you water pump.

They don't all move noticably to the eye, Best advise is to remove each belt on at a time, run it and see if the noise stops. So you can rule out the P/S pump, Air-con, and then the Alt/water pump. ONLY run it for a SECONDS without the water pump belts, preferably while its cold, but this with tell you if its inside the cam cover or external.

Originally posted by john.sally
      check the bottom pulley
      if you look at the bottom pulley and rev the engine at the same time you will see the pulley move in towards the engine as it revs up from tick over, if it does move then its the bottom pulley, a very common fault but a bit costly, mine went xmas time £110 inc vat from mr toyota,
      john
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
        check the bottom pulley
        if you look at the bottom pulley and rev the engine at the same time
        john

How the hell do you manage that then????????

Comment

Gettin this meself lately. If the engine is idling, just applying power or release power at low revs. Normal drivin is fine...Initially thinkin turbo? but now avin 2 think again..Im only 5k of 100k on the clock...so maybe timing belt.
          Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            How the hell do you manage that then????????
            thats one of the only uses of the better half.'you press that and i will watch'
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

It's not an external belt, must be the cambelt.
              French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Turns out it's the bottom pulley which appears to have gone, a pricey do....again.

Comment

how did you find out it was the pulley? did you see it moving as discribed or did you have to remove it too inspect

Comment

My trusted mechanic spotted it moving and showed me what it was doing this morning.It moving in and out as described James.

Comment

mines been making a similar noise to what you discribed, only when the engine is warm though and only started since my recent cam belt change. the mechanic checked water pump etc. while the cover was off so i guess if the pully was getting dodgy taking it off and refitting could have finished it off.
                      bit shocked at the price of them though

Comment

I have seen the old pulley today, it's completely shot, the bonding has come away from the rubber and the belt was barely spinning, it's now been replaced but it was not a job to be taken lightly and has cost me £300 including the new pulley and all the labour.
                        He has done a fantastic job though, the engine runs nearly silently now with the volt meter now running at the correct voltage.

Comment

Working...
                        X