Twittering Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twittering Engine

Just for a change there is something wrong with my Surf.
    It has just started making a loud twittering noise from the Cambelt area of the engine.
    All the belts are the correct tension, i have noticed it just getting louder and louder on tickover over the last few days.When actually moving under load it disappears but as soon as the engine idles it does it again, it's so loud it's becoming embarrasing.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Cheers

Paul.
    French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Mine used to do that, it's the alternator bearing behind the pulley, I think it must get a bit dry with the heat from the engine. A squirt of WD40 shut mine up!

Comment

Thanks Vince,
      Any possiblity you have a pic of where exactly you squirted?

Comment

Sorry no pic.
        On the front of the alternator there is a double pulley, with two belts wizzing around it, (with engine running) Spray behind the pulley. It helps if you have that little red straw that comes with the WD40 to direct the spray, especially if you have the air con compressor fitted.

Comment

Noted and many thanks mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauleds
            Just for a change there is something wrong with my Surf.
            It has just started making a loud twittering noise from the Cambelt area of the engine.
            All the belts are the correct tension, i have noticed it just getting louder and louder on tickover over the last few days.When actually moving under load it disappears but as soon as the engine idles it does it again, it's so loud it's becoming embarrasing.
            Any ideas anyone?
            Cheers

Paul.
            Take the budgie out of the engine compartment...
            You can't hear it under load as it's drowned out by engine noise.... poor birdie...

Sorry...i'm in a funny mood today
            Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Errrr Yeah............

Comment

If it's not the alternator bearing or from some other source on the external belts and you find the noise is from under the timing belt cover start worrying. It may be the tensioner or idler bearing. If one of these seizes you will be in deep trouble.Just thought I'd warn you.

Nev

Comment

I'm having it looked at later Nev,
                  I did the WD40 thing where instructed by Vince and the noise is still there and it does seem to be coming from within the cambelt cover.

Comment

I did the WD40 thing where instructed by Vince and the noise is still there and it does seem to be coming from within the cambelt cover.
                    I had a similar noise on mine, and it turned out to be the bolt holding the idler pulley had snapped. On tickover the belt was slapping against the timing belt cover, but as the revs increased, the centrifugal forces alligned everything back up, and the noise disappeared.

Hopefully you'll have better luck than me.
                    Jez

Comment

Any idea when the timing belt was last done? If you don't know then may I suggest you get it done ASAP. If it has been done recently were the tensioner and idler replaced?

Nev

Comment

13 Months ago it had a full recon engine and turbo fitted by Stevo, i have done 15000kms since then with no problems.
                        It had a new cam belt then and i trust Stevo checked the pulleys etc.

Jez, how did you sort that one out?

Comment

Could be the water pump. It's hard to tell without actually hearing it

Comment

Have you done any off roading? My belts twitter after a coating of Devils Pit's finest chalk. I spray the belts with oil or grease and it keeps them quiet until the next play in the mud.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

No offroading recently,all belts and pulleys lubed and tensioned correctly.
                              All is sounding like and pointing towards it being the cam belt touching the cambelt cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X