A/C Belt - can't release tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Belt - can't release tension

OK, so this'll all sound like rank rookie talk here and that's 'cause it is.
    Just got a Surf ('90, 2.4 Turbo) a couple weeks ago. Love it except both my alternator belts crumbled into dust last week. I've looked at all the info on this site for belt replacement and it all seems straight forward, except I can't seem to get the tension to release on the A/C belt pulley. I've loosened off the bolt, but there's no movement happening on the pulley. Plan B was to remove the mounting bracket for the tension mechanism entirely, but I can't get at one of the bolts to loosen it.

I also can't get the fan off, so I've got very little room to work with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ianmel
    OK, so this'll all sound like rank rookie talk here and that's 'cause it is.
    Just got a Surf ('90, 2.4 Turbo) a couple weeks ago. Love it except both my alternator belts crumbled into dust last week. I've looked at all the info on this site for belt replacement and it all seems straight forward, except I can't seem to get the tension to release on the A/C belt pulley. I've loosened off the bolt, but there's no movement happening on the pulley. Plan B was to remove the mounting bracket for the tension mechanism entirely, but I can't get at one of the bolts to loosen it.

I also can't get the fan off, so I've got very little room to work with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

first off you deff need to get the fan off for access especialy if you have hands like mine.....then you need to undo the bolt that holds the threaded block tight. then undo the bolt if there is no movment you may need to get somthing to lever it inwards oh and a little wd40 wouldnt go amiss...good look..
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Try undoing all three bolts and not just one. Just losen them off a bit, that should do it.
      I like Orientals

Comment

The bolt through the pulley only locks the adjuster, the block is on another bolt behind it.

Take the shroud off the rad, it makes things easier

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

<thread hijack>
          took my bottom shroud off the other day! man was that hard to do with the aircon rad in!
          anyway i havent bothered with rad drop brackets for the lift so ive left the shroud off - will this be ok?
          </thread hijack>
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks for the advice. got it off quickly once the nut on the pulley was loosened. Now on to loosen the alternator . . .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
              <thread hijack>
              took my bottom shroud off the other day! man was that hard to do with the aircon rad in!
              anyway i havent bothered with rad drop brackets for the lift so ive left the shroud off - will this be ok?
              </thread hijack>
              Yeah, its how we run Linda's truck.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
              X