Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you lot out there have had this problem with the rear window, mine is stuck in the up position, when I put the key in the back lock, and turn it, I can hear the relay click in, but nothing happens, I have tried this with the motor disconnected, but there is no voltage going to the motor, can someone tell me is there an easy way to lower the motor, so I can find this relay box, as I can't open my tailgate with the window up.

Also if it turns out to be the black box, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a cheaper alternative, other than Toyota, as I thought they were giving me a phone number not the price!

If all else fails I will make something and plumb it in, maybe with a couple of relays and a separate switch, any help would be great, as this has got me a tad stumped.

Could it be just a faulty relay on that little relay board thingy I read about here somewhere, I can't even get to it with the gate locked, or could it be a saftey thingy if it thinks that one of the catches is not closed on the tailgate, something like that???

Originally posted by spans

Could it be just a faulty relay on that little relay board thingy I read about here somewhere, I can't even get to it with the gate locked, or could it be a saftey thingy if it thinks that one of the catches is not closed on the tailgate, something like that???
    One of, or all of the above !!!
    Another culprit is the #$@%& rear wiper If it is not sitting in EXACTLY the right spot the window will just give you that blank look as you try to put it down.
    Either wiggle the wiper while you have the key turned in the tailgate, or pop in the front and cycle the rear wiper a couple of times. It helps a little if the window is wet.
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Hi,

I had this problem last night, used the rear window fine up down no problem. Then the wife had a whole months groceries in the back and it wouldn't go down when I got home!!....guess who had to take them over the back seat!

My problem was the rear wiper, i jiggled it about to make sure it was seated properly, turned the wiper on so that it moved. Any hey presto, the rear window now works fine once the wiper reseated itself properly.

Good luck
      Stu

Comment

I had a very similar problem. The window would operate (no problem) from the interior switch but not from the key switch. When using the tailgate key switch, I could hear the relay(s) operating. I replaced the relays but that didn't fix it. I checked the key switch and that tested out okay. I found the problem after a couple of days. Below the loom connection that connects to the relay control box, there is another connector that connects the tail gate loom to the main loom. There was a very, very small amount of corrosion on this connector. Cleaned up with tons of oil based, spray, contact cleaner and now it works a treat.

For those that really want to know, the corrosion was around the up and down wires from the key switch. When you turned the key, it actually ended up turning on both relays! Any corrosion on said connector could cause no end of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by saatman
          For those that really want to know, the corrosion was around the up and down wires from the key switch. When you turned the key, it actually ended up turning on both relays! Any corrosion on said connector could cause no end of problems.
          This is quite common, I've fixed 2 lately like that, also the wire can break in the loom where it comes out the door and up into truck.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Well, thanks to you peeps here, rear window all sorted, firstly it was the relay box, I replaced both of the relays in question with some maplins cheapy cheap ones, at just over £1 each, I ordered 10, but fitted 2.

If anyone in the Midlands wants theirs repaired, now that I did mine and they work, I would be happy to fix someone elses one for them FOC! if they supply the relay's. Also I had to repair a track on the board that was completely burnt out, I mean just carbon left there!

But my problem was also the motor, again thanks to you lot, 1 toyota corolla later and its all good.

Once again thanks Peeps

Comment

Working...
            X