Heater, matrix, misting, leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater, matrix, misting, leaking

Hi, this week as soon as the car heats up the windscreen mists and is impossible to keep clear.
    I also noticed a smell of antifreeze.

After doing a search i have now looked under the centre dash and i can clearly see coolant on the side adjusters on the drivers side and on the floor.
    Does this mean that the heater matrix has gone, or could it possibly be a pipe leaking or where the pipe joins the matrix.
    Is there any way of testing this without taking the dash apart.

If the matrix has gone, where is the best place to get a replacement, and would i be better off getting someone else to do the job as from reading a lot of posts is is a bit of a fiddely job.

For the time being though, if i turn the heat settings on the dash to cool, will this stop the leaking for the time being.
    And can i leave the rear heater on or will i also have to have this on cold setting.

Thanks for any help or advice

Originally posted by hawkwind
    Hi, this week as soon as the car heats up the windscreen mists and is impossible to keep clear.
    I also noticed a smell of antifreeze.

After doing a search i have now looked under the centre dash and i can clearly see coolant on the side adjusters on the drivers side and on the floor.
    Does this mean that the heater matrix has gone, or could it possibly be a pipe leaking or where the pipe joins the matrix.
    Is there any way of testing this without taking the dash apart.

If the matrix has gone, where is the best place to get a replacement, and would i be better off getting someone else to do the job as from reading a lot of posts is is a bit of a fiddely job.

For the time being though, if i turn the heat settings on the dash to cool, will this stop the leaking for the time being.
    And can i leave the rear heater on or will i also have to have this on cold setting.

Thanks for any help or advice
    Not to sure where you can get one but it is a lot of work to replace it
    If you leave the heater control to cold on the dash it won't allow water into the matrix which will stop it leaking into the car, but you can still have the rear heater on hot so you will get a bit of heat into the truck
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
      If you leave the heater control to cold on the dash it won't allow water into the matrix which will stop it leaking into the car, but you can still have the rear heater on hot so you will get a bit of heat into the truck
      Thanks jotto
      At least that will be a temporary fix for now.

Comment

Re

How does that work then?

I thought that the rear heater fed off the front one!

Does it have seperate pipes and if so where are they?

Mine hasn't worked from I got it and if they are seperate pipes I might have a crack at a good clean and repair!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
          How does that work then?

I thought that the rear heater fed off the front one!

Does it have seperate pipes and if so where are they?

Mine hasn't worked from I got it and if they are seperate pipes I might have a crack at a good clean and repair!

Gary
          The rear heater is fed via two small hoses connected to a T section on the thermostat housing under the temp gauge sensor.

Nev

Comment

the rear heaters are a bit prone to clogging cos they arent used very often. one of the pipes on mine is solid. every once in a while i have a go at clearing it, but its not having it. you can disconnect the pipes under the truck where they go up into the rear heater and at the thermostat and stuff a hosepipe up em, it has been suggested to use an air line to clear it, but that scares me!
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Can anyone else give any advice so as to avoid coolant loss, overheating problems before the caravan season starts.

Ta very much

Comment

Does anyone at least know what size of heater hose it has, as i am thinking of disconnecting the hose at the heater flow switch by the bulkhead, and connecting it to the outlet pipe so as i can bypass the matrix/heater core or whatever its called, untill i can find out a little more info, and untill i can find time to do the job, as there is still a bit of coolant dripping.
                I`d rather buy a short piece of hose rather than cut or kink one of the existing hoses.
                Thanks

Hope i`ve explained it ok.
                Last edited by hawkwind; 8 February 2006, 23:17.

Comment

Heater Matrix

M8 once the heater is off no coolant will pass the switch. The drip is what coolant is left in the Matrix.

If you can't find a replacement Matrix a local Heat Exchanger Company should be able to make one up. This is possible only if the leak is inside the fins and none of the "outerbody" parts are damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by RSA Surfer
                    M8 once the heater is off no coolant will pass the switch. The drip is what coolant is left in the Matrix.
                    Not entirely correct. Coolant can still enter the heater through the outlet hose. The cooling system is under pressure. This pressure will force coolant through to the heater. Think about it.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by hawkwind
                      i am thinking of disconnecting the hose at the heater flow switch by the bulkhead, and connecting it to the outlet pipe so as i can bypass the matrix/heater core
                      I recommend you do this. Sorry don't know the size offhand. The heater can still leak even when in the off position. The coolant will simply travel up the outlet side. The cooling system is under pressure and a hole in heater is where this pressure will find it's way out.

Nev

Comment

Hey thanks for the replies guys

Yeah my m8 told me that as the system is under pressure then coolant will still enter the matrix via the outlet pipe and leak.

I`ve noticed that it seems to stop after a couple of hours parked up, then starts again after a short run.

Comment

Another option is to disconnect both at the firewall and simply plug both hoses at this point. Do not attempt to plug or disconnect the other end as the return for the heater also acts as the return for the turbo cooling.

Nev

Comment

My heater matrix went yesterday. Like driving a mobile turkish bath.
                            I have disconnected the hoses where they connect into the heater at the firewall and joind them together to bypass the matrix completely until I have time to do a complete strip down.
                            Presumably this is OK??
                            Ian
                            One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                              Presumably this is OK??
                              Yep.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X