No announcement yet.

How many miles in a tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here it is, filled up one week ago and got 350Kms from her. the wife and i did not go over 60mph or 2000RPM she took 57 litres of fuel. As for the speed difference due to my tyres, i bought a TOM TOM 700 to log my speed difference and i am infact slower than the GPS. ie at 30 MPH on the GPS the truck reads 35 MPH. Whats going on? what needs to be changed/fixed? Im going to vegoil from today! i hear Tesco do a good price
    Last edited by surfstar; 17 January 2006, 11:25.
    Kite Surf

Comment

Hello

Veggie oil in Tesco is about 32 pence a litre - a bit cheaper than diesel !

Just buy the biggest bottles and mix it about 50/50 with diesel - you shouldn't see much difference except in your wallet.
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
        Hello

Veggie oil in Tesco is about 32 pence a litre - a bit cheaper than diesel !

Just buy the biggest bottles and mix it about 50/50 with diesel - you shouldn't see much difference except in your wallet.

Personally wouldn't do more than a 20% mix at this time of year.. too cold.. I'd start at 15% and wirk my way up till found a usable mix. I currently run on about 25% moving up to 50% in hot (well as warm as it gets over here!) summer months

Just an opinion but it can become viscose (wow thats a technical word for me) if its too cold

Joe112
        Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
          Personally wouldn't do more than a 20% mix at this time of year.. too cold.. I'd start at 15% and wirk my way up till found a usable mix. I currently run on about 25% moving up to 50% in hot (well as warm as it gets over here!) summer months

Just an opinion but it can become viscose (wow thats a technical word for me) if its too cold

Joe112
          to late just put 20 litres in and 37 litres of diesel! Just doen 20 miles and all seems okay
          Kite Surf

Comment

Originally posted by 30Surfer
            Mine (3.0L) from full to light coming on does about 440kms....about 350ish miles to a full tank, but almost all of my driving is 'about-town' driving.
            Are my calculations wrong, because I make 440km to be about 273.4 miles, and 350 miles is around 563 kms.

A point of interest: I recently exchanged my Nissan 200SX for a Surf. Obviously the surf came without a handbook (one on order), but I did notice a similarity in some of the dashboard controls, and specifically the air handling unit.

There is a line of push buttons with symbols on showing tohe direction of airflow, and 1 of these has a demister symbol on it. If it is the same as the Nissan, then depressing this switch automatically switches on the air conditioning unit (without the need to push AC button). The reason for this is to ensure that the AC is used for at least 10 mins per week. This keeps the system lubricated etc. The problem is that if anyone is running around with this button permanently depressed, their fuel consumption will be seriously affected by at least 10%. The heated rear window has a similar penalty!

regards

Trev Dowle
            Cheers
            Trev D.

Comment

milage .

Ok im curious costs me about 54 ish to fill up with diesel i have to drive below 65 mph due to annoying jap speed bell and all i get is 340 km per tank its killing me and yes the trip is in km measured against tom tom . I try and keep revs down to a minimum no matter what i do i cant get better any milage any suggestions? Im now thinking maty be time to get rid off truck as i need better milage for town driving as have started new job (cpn) and a lot of driving is involved

Comment

Originally posted by caaw
                Ok im curious costs me about 54 ish to fill up with diesel i have to drive below 65 mph due to annoying jap speed bell and all i get is 340 km per tank its killing me and yes the trip is in km measured against tom tom . I try and keep revs down to a minimum no matter what i do i cant get better any milage any suggestions? Im now thinking maty be time to get rid off truck as i need better milage for town driving as have started new job (cpn) and a lot of driving is involved

Disable the bell and then thrash it a bit, I'm sure it's no coincidence that most of those that get poor MPG drive sensibly whilst those of us who drive like nutters see half decent figures. Go on blow a few cob webs out

Comment

Originally posted by Bikenuts
                  Disable the bell and then thrash it a bit, I'm sure it's no coincidence that most of those that get poor MPG drive sensibly whilst those of us who drive like nutters see half decent figures. Go on blow a few cob webs out
                  Its disabling that very annoying bell thats the night mare, i havent even attempted it yet!!!

i want to it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerbuc2004
                    Its disabling that very annoying bell thats the night mare, i havent even attempted it yet!!!

i want to it!!!
                    to quote Koi;

Fed up of that bell go here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=413

Comment

the surf!

eh up all surf drivers! i am going to see what mpg my surf does, im from stoke and theres a fair few small hills and banks about, i will fill my tank full and see how many litres it takes, my clock is in mph, the face sticker was changed and the oddo is in km, will wait till the engine is warm too and will be doing local trips round town, no big runs. i should imagine it being on the lower side of mpg. (no type of bull bar or wind diflectors on it either)
                      9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

Fuel consumption

Originally posted by caaw
                        I've just measured my new (to me) Surfs fuel consumption from full to full. I refilled the tank at 405km (252 miles) with 48 litres of fuel. I make that 23.9 MPG. There were 3 longish trips (over 40 miles), and the rest was diving around Canterbury. Anyone who knows the place, knows its a motorists nightmare.

Incidently I've been checking the speed agianst my gps, and the speedo is consistantly overreading. When it indicates 30mph the gps says approx 24mph, when it indicates 60mph, gps says 50 and at 70mph indicated gps says 60.

regards

Trev dowle
                        Cheers
                        Trev D.

Comment

Originally posted by trevdowle
                          I've just measured my new (to me) Surfs fuel consumption from full to full. I refilled the tank at 405km (252 miles) with 48 litres of fuel. I make that 23.9 MPG. There were 3 longish trips (over 40 miles), and the rest was diving around Canterbury. Anyone who knows the place, knows its a motorists nightmare.

Incidently I've been checking the speed agianst my gps, and the speedo is consistantly overreading. When it indicates 30mph the gps says approx 24mph, when it indicates 60mph, gps says 50 and at 70mph indicated gps says 60.

regards

Trev dowle
                          r
                          Its gone!!! The sounds sounds of silence, death to the speed bell, all done in an hour. would have been half an hour but the speedo cable fell out and is a nightmare to put back in!!!

I assure ALL ITS NOT AS HARD AS PEOPLE MAKE OUT

I followed this link to get to the back of the speedo and sort out the cream coloured box with two yellow and green cables coming out.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/dash.htm

But bare in mind there is a screw behind the temp controls and they just pull off to get to it no need to remove lower dash.

Thanks to this site it has gone and would like to say thankyou to you all

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pauleds
                            I have a standard 2.4 with recon engine and turbo, it does 330kms maximum on a full tank, i simply dont believe the claims of 500 odd kms on a tank.
                            I'm sure my tank is smaller than 57litres.
                            Is there a fuel light which comes on when you get really low? most i have ever put in is about £40 worth of diesel. and the guage was really low.
                            If there is a fuel light i might run it till that comes on and see what i get but i dont fancy running out as i dont know how to start a diesel once it's run out.
                            If I may bold, that is good milage! Or should that be kilomiterage!
                            I put around £50 in and just plodding to work and back have now reached a grand total of (average) 280KM on a tank.
                            If I take it very easy I can get nearly to 300.
                            Before I had the recon head on I got around 450km on a full tank of diesel and 10L of water!

My surf sucks

I need a car I can afford to run!
                            Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

does any1 know how much difference there is btween a 2.4 and a 3.0 surf on mpg? is it alot?
                              9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

ive got a 2.8l non turbo and get around 450 at best. thort id just add my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                                X