Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine removal

Whats the bestway to remove the engine on a 2.4TD surf

Some info. here........http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/enginetrans.htm

Comment

just ask some local chavs they will have it out in 10 mins and on ebay in5 mins more
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

How big of job is it ?

Comment

What are you replacing it with?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            What are you replacing it with?
            My crank is knocking like crazy, Iv bought a short block to replace my bottom end and my mechanic keeps letting me down, So i was thinking of giving it a go

Comment

Then you definitely need an engine hoist, you can hire them by the day.
              Take some digi photos before and during removal of the engine and especially hoses and pipes. Also, remember you have an on-line manual on this forum if you get really stuck.
              Have a good look at the engine before you start as you can remove large sections without taking every little thing off.

Comment

Then you definitely need an engine hoist, you can hire them by the day.
                Take some digi photos before and during removal of the engine and especially hoses and pipes. Also, remember you have an on-line manual on this forum if you get really stuck.
                Have a good look at the engine before you start as you can remove large sections without taking every little thing off.
                I have my own engine hoist im no mechanic but iv just fitted a 2.0 16v engine into my Corsa with ease so i thought that this maybe possible to do.

Do i have to take the gearbox out with the engine or can i just take the engine out ?

Allan

Comment

I don't think so, just unbolt the bell housing from the engine and leave the gearbox in place.
                  Ask Dr TonyN for a more detailed diagnosis, as he's done a lot of engine removals / transplants on Surfs.
                  Good luck!

http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/garage/contact.html

Don't talk to me about 2.0 litre Corsas.
                  I used to have an XR4i the two door rear wheel drive 2.8 Sierra. One day I was 'giving it some' on a dual carriageway near me, (no cameras, and no laybys one or two cars about) doing 115 mph, when this sh***y little Nova comes stomping up behind me, flashing his lights and waving to me to get out of the way. I pulled over and he went pased me as if I was still in third gear!
                  The B*****D had a Calibra engine in it.
                  Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 December 2005, 23:13.

Comment

I don't think so, just unbolt the bell housing from the engine and leave the gearbox in place.
                    Ask Dr TonyN for a more detailed diagnosis, as he's done a lot of engine removals / transplants on Surfs.
                    Good luck!

http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/garage/contact.html
                    Thanks for your help

No doubt ill be back when i get stuck

Comment

vince you just reminded me of a funny incident in a mc donalds up here where a bunch of kids were sowing off to their girls when there was a loud bang from this nova and screams from all around his 20 litre 16v astra engined nova parted company from each other in the middle of the carpark
                      that was the quickest engine removal i have ever seen
                      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

hehehe! that'll teach em.
                        The guy that passed me with the calibra engine in his Nova, must have had the original 1.0 gearbox in it! It was bl**dy fast, but I expect it only lasted a couple of days!

Comment

Yup they are very fast lol

I only done mine as the engine was damaged and i had a redtop calibra engine so thought why not give it a go made my owne engine mounts and gear linkage.

I just hope the removeal of the surf engine is just as easy

Comment

You should be o.k. theres more room in the Surfs engine bay for starters!

Comment

You should be o.k. theres more room in the Surfs engine bay for starters!

Alot more hoses and sensors on a Surf lol

I would really like to get it running again as i only had it on the road for about a week after i bought it last April

Comment

Working...
                              X