Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking wheel nut woes

Hi Chaps
    Just a quick cautionary tale, I bought some locking wheel nuts from Roughtrax earlier this year, they are the ones with the removal nut that has four lugs.
    I had a puncture last Friday and had loosened all wheel nuts no problem, on trying to loosen the locking nut it had become extremely tight and the lugs on the key sheered off. I had fitted them no tighter than was recommended in the instructions, I have tried all sorts to remove it, the RAC even had a bash but had to admit defeat, I finally got it off yesterday by drilling for hours.
    Roughtrax have stopped selling them now and have switched to a different kind and to be fair, when i called about them, they are sourcing me another key F.O.C. to remove the rest of them and were very helpful.
    So if you have them fitted to your wagon I would check you can get them off!
    Thanks
    Neil

The nuts are/were made by Astrali, had the same problem the other week, guys at the tyre place I use had used an air gun on them, and ****ed them up so had to get a new adaptor.

Comment

i had these on my golf when i lived in england...basically the garage broke the tool i had and his tool trying to extract my bolts,,,,in the end i made a pice of tube and welded a nut on the end,,i then proceeded to weld the pipe plus nut to the offending bolt in the wheel,,,then i cranked it of with a socket and bar....to use again bore the old bolt out of the pipe and nut assembly and do the same thing again,,,good luck it works,,,and get some decent locking nuts not the pin type like you have or key type but the ones with a funny pattern end(also buy another adapter just in case you never know)

Comment

Not so much locking nuts

When I replaced my rear tyres recently the tyre people had to grind down a socket to remove the normal wheel nuts as there was not enough space around the nut in the hole in the wheel rim!! The wheel nut wrench also was too big. Does anyone know if you can get thin walled wheel nut wrenchs??

Try saying that after a few beers!!
        Got an itch, might need to scratch it soon.

Comment

Ifr the socket is too thin walled to much torque will split the socket. Had this happen to one of mine recently, although I was using it on a Ford Fiesta, not the Surf.
          Mike G

Comment

i think snap on (or rip off) make good long reach narrow sockets,,well im quite sure they do ...

Comment

Working...
            X